Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Wishing for Spring

You could say I'm never happy with the current season. It's just that my favorites pass too quickly. I love fall - it has all the benefits of winter without the rain. Second up comes spring when I love to cook with fresh herbs. Winter and summer are at the bottom of my list, so come winter I start wishing for spring. I try to coax spring along by using fresh herbs for a dish that just wills warmer weather and budding flowers.


Spring Chicken
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 Tbsp minced fresh parsley, rosemary, thyme
2 chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2/3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2/3 Tbsp sake
1/3 Tbsp brown sugar
2/3 Tbsp peanut oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 baby bok choy, halved
1/2 pkg enoki mushrooms, trimmed
1/2 tbsp cornstarch

1) Heat oven to 400. In small bowl, combine butter and herbs.
2) Spread butter over chicken and season with salt and pepper.
3) In small bowl combine vegetable broth, vinegar, sake, and brown sugar.
4) Place chicken on foil lined baking sheet and roast 11 minutes or until cooked through.
5) While chicken is cooking, heat peanut oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, add bok choy and mushrooms and cook until bok choy is heated through 1-2 minutes.
6) Combine cornstarch with 1/2 Tbsp water and stir well.
7) Add vegetable broth mixture to skillet and heat until boiling. Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook until slightly thickened. Serve vegetable mixture with chicken.

Serves 2.
Each serving has:
Calories 416.1
Total Fat 13.2 g
Cholesterol 152.4 mg
Sodium 365.1 mg
Potassium 665.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
Protein 55.2 g

3 comments:

  1. This looks SO yummy! I am gonna try this recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds fab! i love bok choi.... never able to get any though unless I'm in London or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can find food I love no matter what the season. And I have the thighs to prove it. ;)

    ReplyDelete