Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sometimes it pays to be a tart

I am very into pears right now. I don't know why, but I'm nearly addicted to their sweet juicy flavor. I want to use them in everything! This pear tart is ridiculously easy to throw together and the rich flavor of the blue cheese only serves to heighten the intensity of the pear's sweetness.


Pear and Blue Cheese Tart
1 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup sugar
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 pears, cored and sliced
1/6 cup honey
1 egg
1/6 cup crumbled blue cheese

1) In food processor, pulse almonds and sugar until finely ground.
2) Add 2 Tbsp water, 1 Tbsp at a time, until mixture forms spreadable paste.
3) On lightly floured surface, roll sheet of pastry into rectangle and place on baking sheet.
4) With a knife, lightly score 1" border around pastry.
5) Using a fork, gently poke holes thoughout inner border.
6) Spread the almond paste in center up to 1"border.
7) Heat oven to 375.
8) Arrange the pear slices over the filling.
9) Brush pear slices with the honey.
10) In small bowl, lightly beat egg with 1 Tbsp water.
11) Brush egg mixture over the outside 1" border.
12) Bake 25 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.
13) Sprinkle the cheese over the pears; return to oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese has melted.

Serves 12.
Each serving has:
Calories 214.1
Total Fat 12.9 g
Cholesterol 1.1 mg
Sodium 71.5 mg
Potassium 118.3 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
Protein 3.8 g


4 comments:

  1. Pears rule! This looks like a recipe for my fave kind of treat -- fruit + crust. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to add that I love that you're adding nutritional information to all these now.

    As if I already didn't LOVE your food posts... this makes them sooo much cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had me up until the words "blue cheese." :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn! I'm with Amber on this one. What can I replace the blue cheese with to make this still awesome? Feta maybe??

    ReplyDelete