Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Superbowl Snackers

Let me start by apologizing for the lack of posts recently. There's been a lot going on recently, I'll update you as soon as I can, but I hate speaking too soon. Cooking has consisted of leftovers, and copies from other people's blogs. Nothing terribly original. Okay, back on track.

I'm going to a superbowl party this year. I haven't been to one in ages! This one is especially special because its the tail end of a birthday party. Our hosts have graciously invited us to spend basically the whole weekend with them. That's a lot of time to play host. I thought I'd
help the hostess a bit by bringing some things to nibble on. A great nibbler is spiced nuts. You can make them sweet, you can make them spicy. Since the superbowl is a sterotypically "male" event, I decided to make these manly and spicy.

Hot and Spicy Pecans
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
2 cups pecan halves
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1) Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Combine the Worcestershire sauce, butter, and liquid smoke in a medium bowl. Add the pecans and stir to coat.
2) In a small bowl, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, seasoning salt, sugar, and cayenne. Sprinkle half the spice mixture over the nuts and stir well. Add the remaining spice mixture and stir again.
3) Spread the nuts in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the nuts are dry and toasted, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.

7 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! Those are the perfect snacks...same thing as conversation hearts though, can become too much of a good thing if you don't watch how many you've eaten :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love flavoured nuts! These sound fab, I'm sure you've munched loads already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOHHHH these look AMAZING! Definitly saving this recipe for later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spicy nuts! I need to get on the ball if I'm going to make something for the big game. Thanks for kicking me into gear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot nuts!!

    I wish I was going to a cool Super Bowl Party this year. One year I'll actually throw one. Have fun at yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, i made those over christmas! ha!

    how did you like them? they were, um, a bit overpowering for me. :(

    ReplyDelete