Pages

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Are you sick of feta yet?


I'm not. I'm definitely in a feta mood. So much so that it became an addition to our pasta dish this week. I love the saltiness of feta and I honestly can't think of a cheese that doesn't go well with pasta. The sweetness of the tomato sauce always complements the saltiness and the two dance a mad tango over the hot pasta. It's the perfect blend.
Pasta with meat sauce and feta
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 cup mushrooms, cleaned, chopped
1/2 lb ground pork
1/4 cup red wine
1 can diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp milk
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 Tbsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lb cooked penne
1/2 cup crumbled feta

1) Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms. Saute 12 minutes or until wilted.
2) Add pork. Brown 7 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up with wooden spoon.
3) Add wine, tomatoes, milk, oregano and sugar, scraping browned bits from bottom. Bring to simmer. Cook 1 hour, or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
4) To serve, spoon sauce over hot pasta; top with feta.

Serves 4.
Each serving has:
Calories 452.8
Total Fat 20.6 g
Cholesterol 57.7 mg
Sodium 371.6 mg
Potassium 253.2 mg
Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
Protein 19.5 g

6 comments:

  1. yum! i'm all into making my own pasta sauce right now. i'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, we have a bunch of feta I didn't know what to do with. I'm making this tomorrow! Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks absolutely delicious! I will definitely have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thimk this is a recipe that evem I cam't screw up! Yes! I love feta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, I know better than than to look at your blog when I am hungry. It looks very yummy,

    ReplyDelete