Pages

Friday, January 11, 2008

Sweeter than sweet

I don't really do dessert too often. I'm not really that into sweets and I'm not usually hungry between dinner and bedtime. Jon needs dessert every night. He is really into sweets. Usually he wants something chcoolatey, but sometimes I can get him to eat something that's has some redeeming health qualities like fruit. Although, it helps if I drown it in butter and sugar before presenting it to him.


Cantelope in Red Wine Sauce
2 cups red wine
1 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 cantaloupe
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp unsalted butter

1) Heat oven to 400. In small bowl, combine red wine, white sugar, ground cloves and ground allspice.
2) Slice cantaloupe in half, then remove seeds and rind. Cut each half into thirds. Place cantaloupe wedges in 9x13 glass baking dish. Pour red wine mixture over cantaloupe.
3) Sprinkle brown sugar over melon and dot with butter. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Transfer melon to serving platter.
4) Pour wine mixture into small saucepan. Boil until mixture is thick and syrupy. Serve over cantaloupe.
Serves 6.
Each Serving Has:
Calories 258.4
Total Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 5.2 mg
Sodium 35.5 mg
Potassium 450.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 56.2 g
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
Protein 1.0 g

1 comment:

  1. I am so the opposite of you. I love love love chocolate and I have probably the world's biggest sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete