Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Another quick one



There's always some ground turkey in my freezer. It's great to have around for when you want something quick. I use it for chilis, burgers, tacos, and quick meatballs. These only take about 10 minutes in the oven, just enough time to mash some potatoes.

And in that vein - I tried a new recipe for mashed potatoes. Normally I mash together buttermilk, butter, potatoes, and garlic. On my cooking board, a lot of people substitute cream cheese for my buttermilk. I thought I would try it. I will never do that again. The cream cheese gave the potatoes an unpleasant plasticy consistency. You can kinda see that in the "shine" of the potatoes in the picture.

Turkey meatballs
3/4 lb ground turkey
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 minced red onion
1 egg yolk
salt and pepper to taste

1) Heat oven to 400
2) In medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Using tablespoon, form turkey mixture into balls.
3) Place on parchment lined baking sheets and bake 10 minutes until cooked through.
Serves 2.
Each serving has:
Calories 378.5
Total Fat 19.2 g
Cholesterol 228.0 mg
Sodium 399.9 mg
Potassium 397.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
Protein 37.2 g

6 comments:

  1. I love meatballs, never done them with turkey though so I'll have to try it sometime. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least you've still been cooking. it's been a lot of takeout for us this week. oops!

    btw, great to see you again this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i could get used to the taste of ground turkey. alas, it only makes me miss ground beef.

    ditto amber - it was great hanging with you today. sober and everything! whee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Those look really good. I haven't tried turkey meatballs yet. I need to be more of a healthy cook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I use sour cream instead of milk. I don't think I'd like cream cheese. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished this -- another awesome, super quick meal! Making and baking the meatballs took exactly the same amount of time as boiling water and cooking pasta. Mmmmmmmm. The husband adored it and is so excited about taking leftovers for lunch!
    THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete