So New Year's Eve found us curled up family style on the couch.
New Year's Day found us slightly more active.
And even though Christmas was over, it's never the wrong season for decorated cookies.
Of course this holiday calls for champagne, and we had plenty of it. A champagne bar with 4 different flavors of champagne awaited our guests. I even dressed them up with glitter for the occasion.
My secret to the entire event was outsourcing. I made coffee cake and fruit salad, and picked up the rest of the food. No one minded.
There are times when it just pays to take shortcuts. And there are occasions when you can spend the time to make it from scratch.
This dessert takes a little more time than typing your ice cream with hot fudge. But it's worth it. Homemade caramel can be tricky, but a little bit of attention really pays off. I personally love pineapple, just cut up on its own, but broiling it adds a whole new level of sweetness. Warm pineapple, cold ice cream, and a sweet caramel sauce? Happy New Year indeed.
Broiled Pineapple with Bourbon Caramel Sauce over Vanilla Ice Cream (from Cooking Light)
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp plus 2 tsp bourbon
3 Tbsp water
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pineapple, peeled and cored
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 cups vanilla fat - free ice cream
1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- Combine sugar, 3 Tbsp bourbon, 3 Tbsp water, and juice in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Cook 2 minutes unty the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook without stirring for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add cream, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Stir in 2 tsp bourbon and vanilla.
- Preheat broiler. Cut pineapple crosswise into 12 rings, then cut each ring in half. Arrange on foil lined broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle pineapple with brown sugar and broil for 12 minutes.
- Scoop 1/2 cup of ice cream into 6 bowls.
- Arrange 4 pineapple slices in each bowl.
- Top each serving with 2 1/2 Tbsp bourbon caramel sauce.
- Sprinkle each serving with 2 tsp coconut.