Pages

Monday, January 07, 2008

Product Review: Aveda Phomollient

I really have a hard time spending any money on myself. Really. Anything I would buy for myself that's over $10 I put on a list, and wait for the nearest gift giving occasion to ask for it. This means I get eye cream for Valentines Day, books for my birthday, and so on. This next product is something that's been on my list for a while.

I have baby fine hair. It's really really thin. I'm lucky that I have enough of it where most people don't notice, unless of course its back in a pony tail when it becomes oh so obvious. Because its so fine, most of the time my hair just lies flat and lifeless. When I went to my hair and makeup trial before my wedding I told her I wantedbig Texas beauty queen hair. I didn't quite get it as high or full as I wanted, but I blame my hair, and the ridiculously humid weather that August morning. I hardly ever go a day without putting volumizer in it. I read about Aveda Phomollient a while ago which promised "weightless volume." This Christmas, I found it in my stocking! Whee! Big hair here I come!

What: Aveda Phomollient
How Much: $13.00
Where to buy: Aveda
Review: Smell. Inside this bottle, a war is being waged between mint and honey. Some days when I put it on I smell the mint. These are the good days. I like the smell of mint. Other days I put it on and all I can smell is the cloyingly sweet smell of honey. I do not like smelling like honey. It's almost a musky scent and I fear I'll attract bees or unsavory men.
The feel. In general, I like foam-y volumizers. I feel like they work well because they're so full of air. This one however gurgles out into my hand like a teenage boy on prom night, rather disapointing.
How does it work? I'm not very impressed. I don't find my hair to have anymore volume when I use this than without. I can actually get more volume out of my hair by blowdrying it upside down without using the volumizer at all. Oh yeah, on the plus side, it's definitely weightless.

2 comments:

  1. booo! i'm always on the lookout for stuff that'll give my hair more body and bounce.

    have you ever tried bumble and bumble thickening spray? my hairdresser uses it when i get my hair cut and it just makes my hair feel fuller. i haven't bought it yet, but i'm toying with the idea....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are on opposite sides of the hair trail. I seek to lessen the volume.

    ReplyDelete