Pages

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Torn between two cultures




"Creole" is a combination of cultures, French and American. It mixes amazing French flavors with unstoppable American experimentation. It's also my favorite kind of food. I love the spiciness of it. I made some cajun marinade and tossed some shrimp in it to eat. And that's where I went blank. What to do with these cajun shrimp? I was definitely at a loss. I hadn't thought it all out. But we had these cherry tomatoes that probably wouldn't last much longer in the fridge and thought I could use them. And nothing goes with tomatoes better than basil. So somehow my cajun shrimp took a trip to Italy. They liked it so much, they're thinking of extending their visa.

Cajun Caprese
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp cajun seasoning
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
6 oz shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 basil leaves
1 cup cherry tomatoes

1) In a ziplock bag combine olive oil, cajun seasoning, and lemon juice. Add shrimp and refrigerate overnight.
2) Heat grill pan over medium heat. Grill basil leaves, turning once, until crisp.
3) Grill shrimp and tomatoes until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
4) Combine basil, tomatoes, and shrimp in bowl.

2 Servings Per Recipe
Each serving has:
  • Calories: 100.2
  • Total Fat: 1.2 g
  • Cholesterol: 165.8 mg
  • Sodium: 197.2 mg
  • Total Carbs: 3.5 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
  • Protein: 18.4 g

3 comments:

  1. IMO, this is the mark of an actual cook (aka you) as opposed to someone who can cook (i.e. read recipes, me) --- to be able to take something like the shrimp and create a new dish out of it. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hun.gry.

    I agree. You are an actual cook and I am a recipe reader. Go you!

    ReplyDelete