Pages

Monday, October 29, 2007

Steak - the other red meat

For some reason, I have short term memory loss when it comes to lemongrass. I used it a lot when I was first cooking and making a large amount of dishes with lemongrass. I remember it being difficult to cut, and very flavorful. I also remember liking the flavor.

Fast forward to this weekend when I decided to throw some lemongrass in my steak marinade. I geared myself up for cutting, only to discover these stalks sliced very easily. Huh. Threw the pieces in my marinade and let it sit overnight. Cooked them the next day and the smells wafted through the kitchen. Smelled good!

And then there was the first bite. Yeah. I'm not so much a fan of the lemongrass. Jon's not either:

Jon: What are these green things?
Kate: Lemongrass.....I don't think I'm such a big fan.
Jon: The marinade is great though, do you think the lemongrass added a lot to it?
Kate: I dunno.
Jon: Well if it didn't next time leave it out. But if you think it did, maybe you could just strain the marinade before adding the steak.

I think my husband may be a genius.



Steak with lemongrass
1/8 cup fish salt
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/8 cup canola oil
1 stalk lemongrass, finely minced
1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 lb skirt steak, cut into 4" x 1 1/2" strips

1) In large ziplock bag combine all ingredients. Refrigerate overnight.
2) Heat broiler. Broil steak for 4 minutes, turning over halfway through.

4 comments: