Pages

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Portobello Road, Portobello Road, Street where the riches of ages are stowed

I love Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I love that whole genre of Disney movies that incorporate live action with cartoon - Mary Poppins, B&B, Pete's Dragon...... And everytime I make anything with Portobello mushrooms I hum that song while I cook.

I had decided earlier this week that we'd be having portobello burgers this week, and then I saw that I wasn't the only one to come to this decision. Faith had also made portobello burgers and it was a different recipe than the one I had. Now, I'm not a huge Rachel Ray fan. In fact, every recipe I've ever made has been yuck. (Yuck is a technical cooking term) But I am nothing if not open-minded and Faith liked these burgers so I thought I would give it a shot.

Faith seems to have changed the recipe a bit, subbing spinach for arugula. I changed it even farther using regular red peppers instead of roasted - for a little more bite.

I served it with a super quick easy coleslaw - it has a lot more bite than a typical coleslaw too!

Roasted Portobello Burgers (from I Pray to Gouda)
1 1/2 TB EVOO
Salt and pepper
4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1 TB balsamic vinegar
2 cups spinach leaves
1 jar roasted red peppers
2 slices fresh mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 450-degrees.

2. Place mushroom caps on a cookie sheet, season them with salt and pepper and arrange the mushrooms gill side up. Drizzle with a little EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Transfer to oven, roast for 12 min.

2. Coarsely chop spinach and roasted red peppers and combine in a bowl. Season with a little salt and pepper. Top mushroom caps with spinach and roasted pepper mixture and a slice of mozzarella. Return them to oven to melt cheese.

Ginger- Lime Coleslaw

1/2 cup mayo
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 pkg cole slaw mix

1) Combine mayo through ginger in medium bowl.
2) Add cole slaw mix and toss.
3) Refrigerate until ready to serve.

3 comments:

  1. I am defimitely tryimg that coleslaw mext week - it coumts as a veggie servimg, mo? I hope you're feelimg better, btw. I saw the Emergem-C peekimg out from behimd the porto burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be the first time ever I don't want to eat what's in your entry! Not a mushroom or cole slaw fan. :(

    I still love you, though. I hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete