Pages

Friday, October 12, 2007

Grown Up Grilled Cheese


Childhood always brings back certain food memories. One common one involves the age-old favorite, grilled cheese. For me, grilled cheese was always accompanied by tomato soup. And grilled cheese was technically not really "grilled cheese." At least according to Jon. In his family, grilled cheese was buttered bread with American cheese, made in a skillet and drenched with more butter. In my more health concious family, grilled cheese was cheddar cheese on toast, and then put in the oven until the cheese melted. No butter. No frying.

The grilled cheese I make now is a combination of these two methods. I've added butter, but I still make it in the oven. Old habits are hard to break.

I also add bacon to classic grilled cheese. In general, I'm not a bacon fan. But Sparkpeople keeps telling me I need to up my fat and calories, and bacon is an excellent way of doing that (of course, the butter doesn't hurt either).

And of course, no sandwhich is complete for me unless it has the classic sandwhich ingredient - mustard!


Grown-Up Grilled Cheese
Your favorite kind of bread
creole mustard
cheddar cheese
cooked bacon
1 Tbsp butter, melted

1) Preheat oven to 450
2) Spread mustard on half of the bread. Top with 1 slice cheddar and 1 piece bacon. Add 1 more slice of cheddar and other half of bread.
3) Butter a glass pyrex dish. Place sandwiches in dish and brush with butter. Place in oven for 5 minutes.
4) Turn sandwiches over. Brush with butter. Place back in oven for 4 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. i know you're a "from scratch" person, but in a pinch, the amy's organic tomato and tomato bisque soups are really yummy --- would go great with this sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You kmow how to do it RIGHT! CHEDDAR cheese - screw Americam. Darm that looks so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMMMM.....had something very similar today but without the bacon and with portabello mushrooms....grilled chz ANY way is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete