Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Mystery Meat


Okay, so this isn't really a mystery meat to me, cause I made it, but let's play a little game. There's a saying that if something looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks, it's probably a duck. Dinner last night looked like steak, smelled like steak, and tasted like steak.....does that make it steak?


Nope! It's a total "fool you" dish. I made Basalmic Chicken with mushrooms and it was delicious!!! But the basalmic vinegar colored the chicken to a steak-like brown. The smell of it drew my neighbors (and a friendly UPS man) to my open window asking what on earth smelled so good and could they please come over for dinner. Jon had to be told twice during dinner that he was eating chicken. I think the mushrooms help to throw off the taster, since steak and mushrooms go together like, well, steak and mushrooms. This dish really couldn't have been any easier and the fact that in drew in people from the streets and tasted great means it will go into me "impressive meals for company" pile.....now when are the ILs coming over again?

Basalmic Chicken with Mushrooms
3 Tbsp Basalmic Vinegar
2 tsp Creole Mustard
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 chicken chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 tsp olive oil
6 mushrooms, cut in half
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/3 cup chicken broth

1) In a medium bowl combine 2 Tbsp Vinegar, Mustard, and garlic.
2) Add chicken pieces and mix to coat thouroughly.
3) Heat 1 tsp olive oil in nonstick skillet. Add chicken and marinade. Cook until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken to plate.
4) Add 1 tsp olive oil to skillet. Add mushrooms and saute 1 minute. Add 1 Tbsp vinegar, thyme, and chicken broth. Cook until mushrooms are a dark brown color. Serve mushrooms over chicken.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic! I just e-mailed myself the recipe to make tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything mushrooms.

    That makes you my favorite.

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, i have a pile of recipes like that too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I am so making that. DH and I love mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I am making this for dinner tonight! DH will be SO happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since you kept saying duck, I guessed "duck."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this for dinner and it was YUMMY! But not as dark as yours ...oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So what exactly is Creole mustard? This sounds delicious and right up our alley, but I have no idea what this ingrediant is and probably am too lazy/ forgetful to look for it in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erika - Creole mustard is just a spicy brown mustard. You could sub in any brown mustard (brown/dijon). I just always use creole because its what I keep on hand.

    That being said, its right with the other mustards in the supermarket, so if you did want to use it you shouldn't have too much of a hard time finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks SO GOOD!! If you remember, please email me about where you got the creole mustard, I'm goimg to try this recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete