Pages

Monday, October 08, 2007

Snacks!

Confession #1: I don't snack. In general I'm an "eat three meals a day" kind of girl. This very often becomes "eat 2 meals a day" when I'm busy and it is not unknown for me to be a "just eat dinner" kind of girl. I have a hard time finding the time to eat, since I'm always doing a million things at once. It has been pointed out to me on more than one occasion that my lack of eating is not my healthiest trait.

So I've started bringing snacks to work for me. 95% of the time I make time to eat them at some point during the day - except last week, when I wasn't feeling so hot. My snacks usually consist of a protein and a carb - healthy and energy providing! I like yogurt with berries, apples with almond butter, airpopped popcorn with parmesean cheese......

Confession #2: I'm not a gourmand at all. When I see fancy schmancy appetizers I get scared. Caviar? I had it once, at a wedding. I spit it into a napkin. But one that's always intrigued me has been melon with proscuitto. Of course I've never ordered it/taken it off of a plate after that caviar incident...but it sounds like the perfect work snack - fruit and protein? So I bought a cantalope, so proscuitto, and spent yesterday wrapping. And the result? Well, let me tell you from experience - the melon:proscuitto ratio was a bit off. When you try this at home, make sure the proscuitto is sliced very thinly, because too much of it and you have a salty mess in your mouth....and nobody likes that!


My other work snack of the week? Marinated mushrooms. Yum! It breaks from my carb/protein cycle, but since its all veggies it's still a good little snackeroo!


Marinated Mushrooms
1 lb mushrooms
1/2 onion, sliced
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp mustard
1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
1 tsp parsley
Salt and Pepper

1) Steam mushrooms for 1 minute
2) In a medium saucepan combine all ingredients but mushroms. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for a couple minutes.
3) Pour dressing over mushrooms and refrigerate overnight.

3 comments:

  1. I just cam't imagime the prushuto amd melom....too famcy for my ghetto tastebuds probably. Lovimg the mushrooms though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hubs had melon and proscuitto when we were in italy a while back and loved it.

    ReplyDelete