Pages

Monday, October 22, 2007

The Other White Meat

Things are crazy here in Southern California. I stayed home from work to take care of Ringo, and it turns out it was a very wise decision. Sunday night wildfires broke out across Southern California - Los Angeles, San Bernadino, here in Orange County, and San Diego. We're lucky enough to be in a part of Orange County that is fire free, but its early yet. The Santa Ana winds keep changing the direction of the flames and every time they seem to be controllable, a change in wind sends them raging in another direction. My parents live about 5 miles from the fires in Orange County, but were also not evacuated as the fire began to move inland and south. In San Diego things are even worse. I was thankful I stayed home as city after city was evacuated.

With all this craziness, it was another salad night last night, but this time, instead of chicken, we turned to our second favorite meat - pork. I had picked up some pork filets this week and thought this would be a great way to use them. Plus Jon came home from work very hungry so we needed something quick.

With the temperatures in the 90s, winds blowing at 50-70mph, a salad is just the right temperature. Jon especially loved the pistachios sprinkled on top. He felt it added a nice flavor. As we ate our salads we huddled together on the couch and thought about how thankful we were to be safe. Our thoughts go out to those who are less fortunate than we, and I hope all the evacuees can return home safely soon.

Honey Mustard Pork Salad
3 pork filets
3 Tbsp Mustard
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp olive oil
romaine lettuce
orange, peeled, and divided in sections
honey mustard dressing
1/4 cup pistachios, peeled and chopped

1) Combine mustard and honey. Coat pork filets with this mixture.
2) Heat oil in large skillet. Cut filet into 1/2 inch pieces and stirfry until lightly golden brown and cooked through.
3) Chop romaine and place in bowls with orange sections. Top with pork. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle pistachios on top

5 comments:

  1. I love the taste of Honey Mustard and pork. Mmmm. I'm glad you stayed home today and are safe. Hope Ringo is doing better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love pistachios! I don't think I've ever had pork in a salad before. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it really is just nucking futs out there.

    on a happier note, that salad looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ug that looks so good right now, I am so hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't do pork.. (I'm surprised you do?)

    Would it be just as yummy if I used chicken?

    ReplyDelete