Pages

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Doing it right this time


So the last time I made meatball subs there were complaints from the peanut gallery. Apparently store bought meatballs are no match for the fabulous meaty balls I make myself. So even though my last attempt at meatballs turned into meat crumbles, I armed myself for another attempt. After last time I knew I had to master the art of the stovetop meatballs.


I switched it up a little this time just in case the peanut gallery held onto the taste of the last sub and decided to transfer it to the current one. So instead of classic Italian, I decided on a Mexican meatball sub. The result? Rave reviews. Second helpings. Thoughts of the last meatball sub banished from memory. The moral of this story? When you spoil someone with homemade, its hard to go back to freezer aisle.


Mexican Meatball Sub
1/2 pkg of taco seasonings
3/4 lb ground beef
1 Tbsp bread crumbs
1 Tbsp oil
1 can crushed tomatoes
hot dog buns

1) Combine 1/2 Tbsp taco seasonings, beef and bread crumbs and shape into 12 balls
2) Heat oil over medium high heat and brown meatballs.
3) Stir in tomatoes and remaining seasoning. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally 5 minutes.
4) Put meatballs on buns and top with sauce.

10 comments:

  1. don't forget the cheese! I like my meatball subs with cheese melted ontop. YUMMY. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big Rachel Ray fan but this recipe is definitely in the category of YUM-O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re your question on Red Velvet - I thought it was just O.K. - my bro thought it was a dead ringer for the real thing but it wouldn't make my top 10. Even with tasteless food coloring, there's still an aftertaste to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of these "go to" meals whether it is homemade meatballs or not:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The exception to that rule about not going back to the freezer aisle after homemade is my hubby... I was going to marinate and grill some chicken last night and he wanted a frozen chicken oven grill instead.... grrrrrrrrrr.

    Anyways, these meatballs look good. I love meatballs and I love the sound of the mexican twist on them. Glad they were a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn...this means I might not want to make it out of the freezer aisle. I can't have a spoiled boy on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. okay, this is an awesome idea. the hub loves meatball subs, and your twist on it is genius!

    ReplyDelete