Pages

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Bright and Light


Summer is a great time for chicken salad. It's easy to put together, is great cold or at room temperature and can travel where ever your summer adventures take you. Even if your summer adventures only take you the the outside balcony where you can enjoy dinner al fresco.
The warm weather always makes me long for something light for dinner. We do a lot of salads, sandwiches, and other foods that don't require a stove. When they come together quickly it's even better. I've taken to preparing chicken breasts on the weekend so we have already cooked chicken to use/eat all week.

This especially comes in handy since I have been entertaining up a storm this past week, so on off nights its great to fall back on something that comes together in moments. Thatboy is started to get a little sick of Dijon mustard, but as I've often said, I make the food, so until I'm sick of its mustardy goodness, he'll just have to make due.

Curry Chicken Salad
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cumin
pinch of cayenne
1 cup diced cooked chicken
2 Tbsp raisins
2 Tbsp minced celery
1 Tbsp minced shallot
salt & pepper

1) Combine yogurt, curry powder, mustard, lemon juice, cumin and cayenne.
2) In separate bowl, combine chicken, raisins, celery, shallot.
3) Add curry dressing to chicken, toss well, season with salt and pepper.

9 comments:

  1. Mmm...this looks great for picnics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe. totally hear ya on the cooking bit. if i'm making it, then you'll just have to eat it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy! I love curry chicken and this is so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't make chicken salad in a while. Maybe I should make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lurve curry chicken salad. Especially with a few dried cranberries or raisins tossed in...mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love dijon mustard too. It looks like there are bananas or plantane in the salad. Or, am I just imagining things?

    ReplyDelete
  7. your creativity just blows me away. i love when you take simple things and make them fabulous with equally simple twists!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks... or it might be something to do with too much sugar.... but have you got sliced banana on that plate with your curry?

    Anyways, curry chicken salad is a great summer dish

    ReplyDelete