Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Dark and rich


I've mentioned before that every now and again, after dinner, I get the BIGGEST puppy dog eyes from one of my family members. Unfortunately, these eyes usually aren't attached to the actual puppy dog. Instead they are the eyes of Thatboy and just a couple inches above the mouth that is usually saying something along the lines of "What's for dessert." The eyes get even bigger when he hears the usual answer "There's nuts and dried fruit in the pantry, or fresh fruit in the fridge, or frozen fruit in the freezer."

But last week was a tough week for Thatboy. He's FINALLY understanding what "work" is and why his wife is always exhausted. On the plus side, that means he's been especially kind, sympathetic, and caring. And when he gets like that, I like to give him a little pick me up.

I've never made fudge before, but I knew it froze well, which meant I could keep some of it in the freezer for another pick me up later (and since Thatboy STILL hasn't figured out how to open the refrigerator in search of food, I knew it would be safe.)

I grew up a few hours from Hershey Park which was, for a time, a yearly trip for us. Sad but true, one of the best parts of the park is the Chocolate tour, where you follow the bean from the ground to the store. You go through a warmer, the air smells like chocolate, and in the end, you're given a little bar of chocolate! Yum! So when making a new chocolate dish, I usually turn first to Hershey.

Hershey has a GREAT fudge for first timers. I can't believe how easy it is to make. In fact, when I brought some in for Tats to bring home, she thought the recipe was something that would be great to make with her son.

And you should see those puppy eyes light up when his simple question is met with "Oh, I made you some fudge." Priceless.


Foolproof Fudge (from Hersheys)
3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
dash salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1. Line 8- or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan.
2. Melt chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk and salt in heavy saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
3. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm. Remove from pan; place on cutting board. Peel off foil; cut into squares. Store loosely covered at room temperature.

9 comments:

  1. I have never cared for fudge--I have no idea why--and now that I am looking at your pictures I think I must be crazy. Maybe I should try making my own....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM! I love my fudge w/ peanut butter on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I present this for desserts, I will be in the £seats for a long time.Thx for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. If you can gain weight just by looking at a picture, I think I just did! Those look fabulously & sinfully delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had this fudge the other day that I am not sure could be classified as fudge. But anyway, it was Orange Sherbert fudge. It was creamy and gooey and oh my word delicious! If I wouldn't have to drive an hour to get it I would go get me some more of that stuff! I found it at this little candy shop on top of Signal Mtn in TN. They had all kinds of unusual flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that fudge? is seriously dark. i've never been a big fudge fan either, but i want stick my face right into a pan of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, i love fresh homemade fudge.

    i remember going to hersheypark and loving the fact that you could smell chocolate throughout the entire place. mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've never personally been a big fudge fan, even when my grandparents made it from scratch for us. that being said, the picture sure is pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was planning to make fudge for going away this weekend!!! Thanks for the recipe!

    Rob's always asking me the same and has the same look on his face when I say there's fruit or yoghurt. Poor guy lol

    ReplyDelete