Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Olives = Spanish


I'm not quite sure why I do it, since there are many cuisines that utilize olives, but for some reason, if I want to make a "Spanish" dish I instantly add green olives. I can't help it. I love the salty sour flavor, and olives and tomatoes bring me right back to Barcelona.

I love Paella, but it has to be made "my way" without any fish. And I'm a little intimidated by it. However, the flavors are easy enough to create with some shrimp, rice, and of course I threw in some green olives. I just had to. I am a true convert of cooking shrimp shell on. It makes them SO juicy since they don't lose all their flavor during the cooking process.


Spanish Shrimp
1/2 lb shrimp
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup Spanish olives with pimento
1/2 Tbsp capers, rinsed and drained

1) Melt butter in medium skillet over medium high heat. Cook shrimp 3 minutes or until they turn pink. Remove shrimp to a plate.
2) In same skillet, cook onion until tender.
3) Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 30 seconds.
4) Add tomatoes, chicken broth, olives, and capers and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 3 minutes.
5) Add shrimp back in and cook until shrimp are heated through. Serve over rice.

Also, I've been given another award! Jillybean at Post-It Place has passed on the Arte y Pico award. Fitting for my Spanish post, right?



Now, here are the rules and regulations, as well as my nominees for the next five deserving winners of the Arte y Pico Award:

1) Pick five (5) blogs that you consider deserve this award for their creativity, design, interesting material, and also for contributing to the blogging community, no matter what language.
2) Each award has to have the name of the author and also a link to his or her blog to be visited by everyone.
3) Each award winner has to show the award and put the name and link to the blog that has given her or him the award itself.
4) Award-winner and the one who has given the prize have to show the link of "Arte y Pico" blog, so everyone will know the origin of this award (http://arteypico.blogspot.com/)

So here are my five nominees!
Culinography
Megan
Ruth
Jerri
Brooke

10 comments:

  1. no fish, but shrimp are okay? ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why no fish? :(
    well, there is shrimp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to make paella without fish too... it's much better!

    This looks great, olives scream spain to me too lol

    Thank you for the award! You've made me blush!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an unfortunate run-in with some shrimp a few weeks ago. Long story short, the shrimp won. But, I'm ready to get back on the shrimp boat.

    I might hold out on the olives though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. some chicken and sausage are yummy in paella, too. :)

    looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks yummy! shrimp and olives = delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to like green olives... I do. And I try... because my husband LOVES them. But... I just can't. ;)

    Thanks for the award! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love olives. All kinds. When I was pregnant I would sit with a jar of green olives and snack on them regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy crap I just now saw this! Thanks so much for the award, it's my first! So is it to late to post this and nominate others?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just doing a search to see how many pages had linked to me when I found this post. I didn't know that you had given me this award. I'll have to post about it and pass the award along, even though this was a while back.

    ReplyDelete