Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Time for Comfort


Anybody else noticing a trend toward warm, easy, old fashioned comfort foods? I really can't think of anything more fitting than easy food that makes you feel good. And food really can change your mood. That's one of the reasons I enjoyed being a waitress. If I did a good job, I could turn someone's day completely around. Hard day at work? Rough time with the kids? Just sit back and relax, I'll take care of dinner.

When I was in school, I was always busy with school, work, studying, and extracurriculars. I loved my crock pot. One of the first crock pot meals I ever made was pot roast. I mean, right there in the name it pretty much tells you it was made for the crock pot. This is not a dish I've grown up with, so I've played with a lot of variations. I don't know if there's a "right" way to make this, but this one makes us happy.

Also, I've been hitting up the farmer's market by my local TJs and they had a HUGE bag of fresh green beans that were begging me to buy them. I've never had green bean casserole, but I thought it would be good with pot roast. This is the recipe from French's Fried Onion, but its just loaded with stuff I'm not in love with. However, since it's the first time I made it, I followed the directions. Next week I'm going to try my own, lighter variation, so check back!


Crockpot Pot Roast
1 Tbsp oil
beef roast
4 carrots, sliced
4 medium potatoes, roughly chopped
2 envelopes onion soup mix
3/4 cup water

1) In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and brown the roast. I know, I know - this doesn't really seal in any moisture, but frankly, I've been doing this for year and old habits die hard. If you don't want to add this step, leave it out.
2) Arrange carrots and potatoes in crock pot, put roast on top.
3) Combine water and onion soup mix in skillet. If you did step one, this is a good time to scrape the pan for yummy roast drippings from the browning. If you skipped that step, it will still be good. Promise, but you can combine the water and soup mix in a bowl and not dirty a skillet for no reason.
4) Pour soup mixture over roast and veggies.
5) Cook on low 9 hours.


Green Bean Casserole (From French's Fried Onions)
1 cup Fried Onions
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk
1/8 tsp black pepper
4 cups cooked cut green beans
1) Preheat oven to 350. Mix 1/2 cup onions, soup, milk, black pepper, and beans in casserole dish.
2) Bake for 25 minutes.
3) Sprinkle with remaining onions, bake 5 minutes.

I'm submitting this recipe to Bookmarked recipes, because, well its just perfect for the event!


4 comments:

  1. Comfort food indeed! This looks like it could become addictive, especially the crockpot roast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comfort food, what would we do with out it? I love that recipe and yours looks so yummy I may put that on my menu for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not gonna lie. i love the original green bean casserole, bad ingredients and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. green bean casserole is one of my favorite holiday foods. when i hosted christmas eve dinner last year, there was no way it wouldn't be on the menu... even if i was the only one eating it! oh, and while i love to sub in lighter ingredients for most dishes, not that one -- bring on all the fat and salt you can muster. mmmmm! ;)

    ReplyDelete