Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Totally Sandra Lee


I'm not a huge fan of Sandra Lee, however I have a small confession to make. For years I thought she was the maker of frozen pound cake. You know "nobody doesn't like Sandra Lee?" Yeah.....not so much. That's SARAH Lee. Honestly people are tricky tricky tricky and always trying to confuse me.

However, this next recipe combines both Sandra and Sarah Lee. As usual, there's a story. My coworker Tats and I had planned on a dinner out with the boys...until I brought in my lasagna. See Tats stops by my desk every day to check on what I'm having for lunch. I cut her a piece of my lasagna when I brought it in. 5 minutes later I got an email. "Forget going out, we're coming over to your place for dinner. What can I bring?"

Nothing like short notice to bring out the creativity in a person....I asked Tats if she wanted me to cook, or if she wanted to cook with me and she chose the latter. I'm smart enough where I had almost everything prepped before hand so all we had to do was throw some chicken on the grill, make drinks, and throw something in the oven. But I figured we'd make dessert together from the beginning. Trifle is easy so I told her she could bring frozen pound cake and I thanked my crazy idiosyncrasies that I keep so much frozen fruit in the freezer. So here it is in all its glory. There's nothing fresh about it, but its a great thing if you want a super quick and easy dessert.

As for Tats and her husband? They loved it!!!! She especially loved telling him how she made it.

Peach and Berry Trifle


One of the reasons this dish is so great for making with a friend is the quantities are so easy to prep.

1 bag of frozen peaches
1 frozen pound cake
whipped topping (normally I'd suggest making your own whip cream, but Tats is lactose intolerate, and whipped topping is dairy free)
1 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/4 cup raspberry preserves
1/2 lemon

1) In a blender combine the raspberries, strawberries, preserves, and the juice of 1/2 lemon.


2) Layer the peaches, cake, berry sauce, and whipped topping. That's it folks. Now go enjoy your company and remember - cooking is easy.

6 comments:

  1. I have no idea who Sandra Lee is, even after Googling.

    I do enjoy Sara Lee products, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was reading and thinking "but, wait. sandra lee isn't the same person that makes the cakes. i'm confizzled..." ;)

    i refuse to buy sandra lee cookbooks and such, but this dessert does look very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love trifle. I gotta make one again soon.

    PS I've got an award for you on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I used to get Sandra Lee and Sara Lee confused too--I always wondered how she ended up with a tv show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm not a sandra lee fan, either.

    but sara lee pound cake is pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought Sandra Lee was..well...interesting - who the heck has so many varieties of colour coordinated servingware and outfits to make a dish (or sort of make a dish). I'm waiting to see "the table" and the matching cocktail.

    ReplyDelete