Pages

Friday, June 06, 2008

A billion bruschettas


As I've mentioned before, I've been doing a lot of entertaining lately. Which is great because I really appreciate spending time with my friends, but also because it means I get to play around a lot in the kitchen. I hate when guests come over and there's nothing to snack on. A lot of my dinners have included a "let's cook together" segment and there's nothing worse than trying to make food while your stomach grumbles.

Luckily we live around the corner from a fantabulous bakery, which means there's never a shortage of fresh bread. Which mean my go to snacker lately has been bruschetta. All different kinds and flavors. Each a little different so I don't get bored.

The base for all these twists and variations is bruschetta:
Preheat broiler. Slice french baguette and brush each slice of baguette with olive oil and place on baking pan under broiler. Broil 1-2 minutes each side, or until golden brown.


This is not a good one for romantic evenings...because do you SEE those gorgeous onions? They were just far too beautiful not to use. Not so great on the breath, but then again, if everyone's eating it then everyone has horrible breath so no one can be self conscious.

Heat 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter in skillet over low heat. Add the onions and cook until they're nice and soft. Then just pour them over your bruschetta and top with some parmesan and leftover sliced olives you may have had in your fridge from say, deconstructed pizza.



This one is far more makeout friendly. Especially with the addition of some mint on top. It's basically begging for kisses. Cause mint makes everyone want to kiss, right? Just be careful when you serve this to your guests if you're not big on kissing.

Spread ricotta cheese on top of bruschetta and top that with chopped tomatoes and mint. Then just drizzle some olive oil on top and you're good to go.




This is one of my all time favorites. Maybe because it has goat cheese and I just love love love goat cheese. This bruschetta finds its way to our table all the time, whether we have guests or not. Basically if we have goat cheese, we often have this. What tops to goat cheese often varies.

In this instance I spread goat cheese on the bruschetta and then topped with some chopped figs. Drizzle of honey this time instead of olive oil and you're on a completely different continent! Palm trees, camels, and a warm breeze.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea for entertaining. I've done the usual brushetta but you have been so creative with yours. I am going to poke this idea back in my brain for future use. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've never had goat cheese. At least I don't think I have. I must remedy that soon.

    ReplyDelete