Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

A picture's worth a thousand words


And this picture is terrible. I appologize. While it looks like I am trying to entice you to eat potatoes and coal, I can guarantee that no coal was used in the making of the dish. I don't know why the caramelized walnuts came out so dark in the picture. I could blame it on my camera, the lack of natural lighting in the kitchen, the fact that I made it so late that no natural lighting was available....in fact these pictures came out SO poorly I debated not even posting the recipe. Then I took a bite. Then another bite. SO GOOD! I'm not usually very creative with side items, mostly I steam, saute, or roast some veggies and we're good to go. I spend most of my time focusing on the main dish.

However, I have a seriously hard time resisting sweet potatoes. And I had some left over walnuts from cookie baking. Sweet potatoes and walnuts just seemed like a great complement to roasted chicken, don't you agree? And the leftovers are perfect to pack in lunch!

So hopefully I've earned your trust enough by now that you won't dismiss this idea merely because the picture is bad. I haven't lied to you yet, and I wouldn't recommend this if it wasn't phenomenal.

Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Walnuts
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/6 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1) Preheat oven to 425. Combine butter, brown sugar, 1/4 tsp seasoned salt, and cinnamon.
2) Add potatoes, toss to coat. Arrange on baking sheet in single later. Roast 40 minutes.
3) While potatoes are roasting, combine remaining seasoned salt, sugar, and walnuts. Cook in nonstick skillet over medium heat stirring frequently about 10 minutes, or until sugar melts. Cool.
4) Sprinkle walnuts over potatoes and serve.

7 comments:

  1. hahah your potatoes and coal sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to make sweet potatoes more than once a year. I love them, but I never think about them outside of holidays. I'll have to remember this next time I'm looking for side ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This SOUNDS good. ;) Haha, no really I feel your pain--For some reason anything white always glares in my photos--one person once thought my chicken was mozzarella balls (and it was a SE Asian dish so it made no sense). Who are these people who are able to perfectly set up their dishes with perfect lighting, etc etc before they even sit down to eat??!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! that looks great. photos are my downfall as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm I will have to try this...I love sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks like something the hub would LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lord knows i've made plenty of things that have looked icky, but have been quite heavenly in the taste dept. i'm not holding a bad pic against ya ;)

    ReplyDelete