Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Quickest appetizer ever


The original recipe for these puppies is waaaaayyyy back in an ancient In Style magazine. I made it the first time on the tiny mini kitchen of Thatboy's "apartment" which was a room above some guy's garage. The kitchen consisted of a wall in the living room which housed a mini stove/oven and fridge. Cooking there was very.....creative. So this recipe was perfect because it doesn't take a lot of ingredients or space.

The other thing that's great about this recipe is how well it freezes. It's great to keep on hand for unexpected guests.

This recipe has gone through many incarnations and is so versatile - you can use whatever cheese you want. The first time I made it I used cheddar cheese and thyme. One of my favorite combos is parmesean and rosemary. Thatboy doesn't like rosemary, so I used oregano this time. My only word of warning is if you don't freeze them, they go very very quickly!


Cheese twists

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed (I am mad loving the new artisan sheets from TJs)
1 egg
1/4 cup parmesean cheese
1/2 Tbsp oregano


1) Preheat oven to 400. Mix egg with 1 Tbsp water. Mix cheese with oregano.


2) Roll pastry into rectangle and cut in half lengthwise. Brush both halves with the egg.


3) Sprinkle one rectangle with cheese mixture.


4) Place other half on top, egg side down - making a cheese sandwich. Press down gently to seal.


5) Cut crosswise into strips.


6) Twist strips and place on greased baking sheet. Brush with egg. Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden.


12 comments:

  1. OMG. I would kill for some of those right now. YUUUUUUMMMMMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaand i have a new appetizer to add to my stand-bys :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want some NOW, K? Please thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome. and looks so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving the step by step pictures. YUUUUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to make a TJ run now to get those sheets, those twists look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how easy are those! I definitely have to try them out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I never buy puff pastry but this has made me think again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love them! I could have used this recipe a couple of time already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They may be quick but they look tasty and delicious! loving these!

    ReplyDelete