Pages

Friday, June 13, 2008

Spicy Sweet


Oyez Oyez Oyez. The meeting Thatblog shall now commence. Thatgirl presiding as always. First we begin with old business. First, let me brag for just a second. Indulge me. You see, I am a complete and total novice in the food blogging community and therefore when I some very established, phenomenal food bloggers leave me comments I almost want to broadcast it from the highest mountains. To quote from the first musical I ever saw on Broadway "I gotta crow."

So you can only imagine my sense of excitement upon getting tagged by Bellini Valli at More than Burnt Toast. My heart sang. Then I sang. Then that boy told me to cut it out because he was trying to watch a movie.

Bellini tagged me with an "about me" meme.

1) LAST MOVIE U SAW IN A THEATRE?

Indiana Jones!!!

2) WHAT BOOK ARE U READING?

Dedication by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

3) FAVOURITE BOARD GAME?

Life

4) FAVOURITE MAGAZINE?

Lucky

5) FAVOURITE SMELLS?

Pumpkin, popcorn

6) FAVOURITE SOUNDS?

Laughter, the martini shaker

7) WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD?

Being alone

8) WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN U WAKE?

5 MORE MINUTES RINGO!!!!!

9) FAVOURITE FAST FOOD PLACE?

Quiznos

10) FUTURE CHILDS NAME?

For a boy: Mister
For a girl: our last name backwards

11) FINISH THIS STATEMENT—’IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D......

Pay off my student loans, buy a house, and travel all the time

12) DO U DRIVE FAST?

When I used to drive a million hours a day I did. But now that I'm down to a 15 minute commute there's no need.

13) DO U SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL?

No - Ringo can't tell the difference between his toys and mine

14) STORMS–COOL OR SCARY?

Cool

15) WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR?

Saturn SL2

16) FAVOURITE DRINK?

It varies based on mood. Right now I'm loving Trader Jose's dark beer

17) FINISH THIS STATEMENT-IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD…

sleep more

18) DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI?

yes

19) IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY OTHER COLOUR, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR CHOICE?

I'm loving red right now

20) NAME ALL THE DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS U HAVE LIVED IN?

Syracuse, Tallahassee, Needham, Indiana, Irvine, LA, San Diego, Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel

21) FAVOURITE SPORTS TO WATCH?

Hockey

22) ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?

Bellini has a faulous blog with varied recipes from all over the globe.

23) WHATS UNDER YOUR BED?
a box of t-shirts I want to make into a quilt and shoes

24) WOULD U LIKE TO BE BORN AS YOURSELF AGAIN??

Eh, I wouldn't mind trying someone else

25) MORNING PERSON OR NIGHT OWL?

Morning person

26) OVER EASY OR SUNNY SIDE UP?

Neither - over medium!

27) FAVOURITE PLACE TO RELAX?

In the kitchen

28) FAVOURITE PIE?

Strawberry

29) FAVOURITE ICE CREAM FLAVOUR?

Coldstone's Carrot Cake batter

30) OF ALL THE PEOPLE U HAVE TAGGED, WHO IS THE MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND FIRST?

With the schedules of the women I'm tagging I have no idea who will respond, when they will respond or if they will respond!

And who am I tagging?

R of Married Not Buried - Happy Early birthday! Everyone drop by her blog to say happy birthday. She's out of town, but I know she'd love to come back to some birthday love.

WeeMo of More Fun than a Barrel of Monkeys - Okay team, collective good energy thoughts aimed at WeeMo and her blog. It would mean a lot to both of us!

Wan of Wan Life to Live - I know I was having you focus your good energy on WeeMo, but if you could diffuse some of it to Wan, she'd appreciate it too.

Mrs. Bumblebee of Puppy Loving Reflections - Luckily Mrs. Bumblebee doesn't need your good energy but stop by her blog anyway just to check out her two troublemakers, er...I mean puppies.

Jessica of Not Your Average Couple - I would hate for anyone to feel left out, even if they have a private blog. So I'm tagging Jessica because I can feel that things are about to get amazing for her now that school's out for summer.

And now for new business. I wanted to make some corn cakes the other day and found a recipe that looked pretty basic and easy - pancake batter, add corn, cook. But maybe I still have a little recipe remix left in me because I just couldn't leave well enough alone. I decided that if I was going to make pancake batter I would spice it up...a lot! Nothing goes with the sweet taste of corn like the bite of ginger. And the ginger made me think of adding some asian flare to the corn cakes.


Ginger Corn Cakes

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp crushed ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk powder
2 Tbsp molasses
5 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
2 ears cooked corn
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp green onion, chopped


1) Combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves in bowl.


2) Whisk together eggs and brown sugar in separate bowl.


3) Whisk in buttermilk powder, molasses, 4 Tbsp of the butter, and 1 cup water.


4) Add flour mixture, but don't over mix!


5) Stir in corn
6) Red pepper


7) Stir in cilantro and green onions


8) Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat and brush pan with remaining butter. Add scoops of batter and cook until golden brown on both sides.


Thatboy really liked these, although he liked them better without the sour cream. Actually, at first he said he'd like them better without the sour cream and corn. After he ate 3 of them, he decided they were pretty good without the sour cream and he liked the corn. See, that's the problem with men, they only think they know what they like.



Meeting adjourned

7 comments:

  1. Ahhh! I'm tagged!

    Thanks for the nice words. I think I have, like, four or five memes to do. I don't even remember who tagged me in the past few months anymore. I'm so bad. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. 13) DO U SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL?


    No - Ringo can't tell the difference between his toys and mine


    I can SO relate to this statement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those corn cakes sounds good. I'd like to try them, but I probably won't. See, for some reason I'm the worst when it comes to making pancakes. I mean, they aren't horrible, they just aren't great. I have a pancake dysfunction I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have thought to add ginger to corn cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, i'm catching up on some posts i haven't read yet. Love the look of these. Sound real healthy and tasty

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, they turned out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're too sweet! thank you.

    and, off i go to do my bidding.

    ReplyDelete