Pages

Monday, June 02, 2008

A twist on some classics


Sometimes I make myself laugh when I look at a string of posts I've written. I don't know if you can tell - but I know I can - I've been ridiculously lazy this week. Lazy leads to really creative food combinations and recipes, because no matter how lazy I am the three of us still have to eat. Thatdog is easy since his food merely requires scooping from a bin. Thatboy and I are a little more complicated.

Back in college my favorite roommate ever, The Actress, and I had a really easy solution for those long days leading into long nights. Bean and cheese burritos from Puzzles. In those days The Actress would get spanish rice with hers and I'd opt for something healthy like curly fries.

These days I added a little "grown up-ness" to this classic dish. First I added some of that cooked chicken I had on hand to make this a bean and chicken and cheese burrito. Then, instead of rice or fries, I served it with a really grown up side - a spinach salad. But keeping it nice and light I made my own vinaigrette and switched out the bacon for something more grown up, prosciutto. However, just like the old days, this meal was consumed while watching some of my favorite shows. Some things you just never grow out of!


1, 2, 3 Burrito
1) Warm up some refried beans, cooked chicken, and flour tortillas (do each separately or it's going to get really ugly)
2) Spoon warm beans and chicken on top of tortilla. Top with salsa and shredded cheese. (Now it can be as ugly as you want, because really, you're eating it, not displaying it in an art gallery)
3) Roll up. (This is an art form and will take years of practice. You should practice a lot. All the time)



Grown Up Spinach Salad
2 slices proscuitto
1/8 cup olive oil
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp honey
salt and pepper
2 cups baby spinach
2 large white mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, and sliced

1) Heat broiler. Spread prosciutto on cookie sheet and cook 3 minutes until crisp. Cut into pieces.
2) Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Combine spinach and mushrooms and toss with dressing. Sprinkle with prosciutto.

Also I wanted to support my blog buddy Joelen and her new attempt to combine her in-life events with her online friends. So I'm submitting this salad recipe to her "Salad Spinnin' Adventure." This month they're focusing on light and healthy salads for the summer. Spinach salad with a honey vinaigrette sounds like just the thing!

13 comments:

  1. I always love me a good burrito!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grown up choices turned out a wonderfully simple dinner. I love a good spinach salad, and burritos... they're a staple for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great easy quick dinner. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks goooooood.

    Want.
    Now.

    Do you deliver?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bean and cheese burritos will never go out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how your recipes are actually, quite possibly, potentially doable for a non-cook like me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. puzzles!! man, there are definitely times when i really miss that place. their burritos really were delish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who doesn't love a burrito? yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm, burritos!

    your "lazy" dinners beat any of my dinners to a pulp.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still trying to work out the difference between burritos, fajitas, tacos..... is it a folding thing?

    Great weeknight dinner again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the salad recipe. Looks like a classic recipe for an American staple.

    ReplyDelete