Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pecan Cookies

I'm sure at one time in your childhood you chanced upon a pecan sandy.  A cookie, topped with a pecan.  I'm not a fan.  Honestly, and this is going to sound funny given the name of the cookie, they've always been a little gritty for me.  I don't love the flavor of the cookie itself.

This is a remake of the classic pecan sandy.  The cookie itself is thinner, crisper, sweeter.  And instead of being topped with a single pecan, I topped mine with chopped pecans.  So there's a little pecan in every bite.

Pecan Cookies
1/2 lb butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg, separated
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans
  1. Preheat the oven to 375. Cream the butter in an electric mixer.
  2. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla and flour.
  4. Pat into a cookie sheet sprayed with baking spray. 
  5. Beat the egg white until foamy.  Brush on top of dough.
  6. Sprinkle with pecans, pressing them gently into the dough.
  7. Bake for 17 minutes.  Cool completely before cutting into squares.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen plenty of those classic cookies, but only around the blogosphere! never in real life. I suspect I will be seeing this new and improved version of them, very soon, however.

    ReplyDelete