I'm a little truffled out from all the truffles I made for Chanukah and Christmas, but I definitely want something that captures that same idea - candy like without being candy.
You can blame this one on the near constant supply of coconut we have in our house. And you know what goes with coconut? Macadamia nuts. They're the perfect pair.
Well my friends, put them together in a tart and you have a sweet as candy Valentine's Day Treat! Although my original plan was to include chocolate, I'm glad I left it out. These are so sweet on their own, a chocolate layer would be overkill. You could serve it as a tart, but I like them cut into bars to make them easier to handle, eat, and share. Because Valentine's Day is about sharing - right!
Coco-Mac Tart Bars
1/4 lb butter
2 Tbsp confectioners sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8x8 baking dish with wax paper. Cream the butter in an electric mixer.
- Add the confectioners sugar and flour and blend. Pat this mixture into the pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the tart layer is cooling, beat the eggs in the electric mixer.
- Add the brown sugar and vanilla and continue beating.
- In a small bowl combine 2 Tbsp flour, salt, and baking powder. Add this mixture to the eggs and beat well.
- Beat in the macadamia nuts and coconut. Spread over the tart layer and bake for another 30 minutes. Cool in pan and then cut into bars.