Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

You don't know Monkeybread

This post is dedicated to my favorite monkey. Not because she's sticky and lumpy, but because yesterday she described how she spent her day on the couch and this is really the perfect food for sitting on the couch. Especially if you are aiming to increase the size of your posterior. Growing up, we NEVER had monkeybread. It was a foreign food in my household. However, I had a friend's mother who made monkeybread for every sleepover. I tried to sleep over as often as I could just to get some of its gooey sweetness. And one of the things I learned, is there is no such thing as a single type of monkey bread. Friend's mom would make it with cinnamon, butterscotch, caramel, basically anything she had handy.

Last year Jon came home from work one raving about this dish his coworker brought in. "It's a bunch of little balls all stuck together" My first thought? Croque en bouche or Struffoli. But I was wrong. It was monkeybread he was raving about. He had waited 27 years for his first bite and he was hooked. When he stopped working with this coworker he missed her breakfasts, so I thought I would attempt to make monkeybread at home. Note: I work best when someone isn't hovering over my shoulder pointing out what I'm doing wrong. Note 2: I love my husband but I hate that he feels himself to be an expert in every matter, including things he has never done. Here are some examples:

Example 1: As I'm removing the bread from the pan -
J: I don't think you did it right. It's supposed to be sticky and gooey on the inside, not just the outside.
K: I don't think you need to worry. I dipped every ball in butter before rolling it in sugar. And I'm about to pour sugar overtop of it. Why don't you go watch a movie or something.

Example 2: As its cooling -
J: Umm where's the cinnamon? It's supposed to have cinnamon! I don't see any cinnamon. I don't think this is monkeybread.
K: How many monkeybreads have you had?
J: A lot.
K: And they were all made by the same person using the same recipe over and over right?
J: Yeah
K: Then you don't know monkeybread. It doesn't have to have cinnamon. This one has chocolate. Did the one you had have chocolate?
J: No
K: You like chocolate better than cinnamon right?
J: Yes
K: Then why don't you not worry about it too much, 'kay?

He went to the bedroom around this time to read, which gave me enough time to sniggle a piece of the bread. It was warm, it was sweet, and it was gooey. I'm tempted not to share....or at least not with him. Instead I will send virtual pieces to WeeMo. Snack up!

Orange Monkeybread
1 pkg frozen rolls, thawed
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
zest of one orange
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 Tbsp orange juice
chocolate syrup

1) Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease bundt cake pan. Roll dough into 24 even balls and set aside.
2) Mix together sugar and orange zest. Dip dough balls in melted butter and roll in sugar.
3) Place dough balls evenly in prepared pan. Let dough rise until doubled in size.
4) Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and invert out of pan and onto serving platter.
5) Mix powdered sugar and juice and drizzle over hot bread.
5) When cool, drizzle with chocolate syrup.

4 comments:

  1. Know-it-all Jon doesn't get his monkeybread tonight, lucky WeMo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how when you learn about something new you didn't know existed you all the sudden see it everywhere?!?!


    Yesterday I saw monkey bread at:

    The freezer section at Stater Bros
    The bakery around the corner from my house
    My MIL made some yesterday!

    WHAT THE HECK!?? Weird right?

    ReplyDelete