Pages

Saturday, November 03, 2007

When the Cat's Away.....

As I type this, Jon is at his 10 year high school reunion. I was supposed to go with him until the Ringo incident. Now I'm at home with the puppy while Jon's reliving his childhood.

So what do I do when he's out of town? Throw a party! Of course, its not a party like you throw when your parents go out of town. This party had 3 people and centered on food - not alcohol.

See, when Cat found out I had made pie, she not so subtley asked for some. When I invited her over, a couple others jumped at the invitation. And so this morning's pie party was born.

Of course, no good mom gives her kids pie for breakfast - so I made a frittata to go with it. Frittata is the perfect dish for brunches. Mostly because its prepared in the oven so you don't have to worry about cooking it while guests are there. You also don't have to worry about timing like a stovetop preparation.

After brunch, I headed over to the Holiday Faire where my mom had a booth. My cute mommy. She was very busy when I visited, but eventually it slowed down enough for little visiting time.

Then I came home and did some cooking/baking - which means there'll be lots of blog updates this week. Guess when the cat's away...the mouse pretty much does the same thing as always......

Red Bell Pepper Frittata (from Cooking Light)

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup uncooked couscous
1 tablespoon water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 large egg whites
3 large eggs
Cooking spray
2 cups red bell pepper strips
1 cup thinly vertically sliced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded Manchego or Monterey Jack cheese

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Bring 1/2 cup water to boil in a small saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Combine 1 tablespoon water, salt, black pepper, egg whites, and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Heat a 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in couscous and egg mixture; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until almost set. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

6 comments:

  1. That Friatta was the shizzy.

    So so so so so so so so so so so so GOOD.

    Did I mention it was so good?

    Feel free to invite me again at any whim for yummy food and doggy kisses.

    Err.. feel free to invite others and allow me to invite myself!

    HA!

    thank you for being a GREAT friend Kate.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everythimg was SO GOOD this mormimg - sorry for beimg a pig amd eatimg all your veggies though. Your mom is so cute - mow I wish I had gome to the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I purchase some of your cute mommy's crafts sans fair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pie was all I had hoped it would be and more! My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. IHY

    I'm so crazy jealous right now.

    ReplyDelete