Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Classic Cookies

My traditional Thanksgiving cookie? Peanut Butter. And it doesn't get more traditional than the Jif Peanut Butter recipe. Disclaimer - this is not a tradition in my family as we NEVER bought anything but natural peanut butter because Jif, Skippy, Peter Pan all had way too much sugar. In truth, I don't really know what my mom used to make her peanut butter cookies, but she definitely didn't use this recipe.

Nevertheless, you can always count on "brands" to have classic recipes. Take for example my favorite holiday treat - candied yams. Last year when I asked how to make them, I was let in on an old family secret - the recipe comes from the can of Bruce's Yams which is the necessary ingredient.

So when I wanted to make a "classic" cookie, I just looked to the side of my peanut butter jar (Jon won't eat natural.....its not sweet enough....go fig)

Irresistible Peanut Butter Cookies (from Jif)

3/4 cup Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Shortening
1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2.Combine peanut butter, shortening, light brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl.
3.Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
4. Add egg. Beat just until blended .
5.Combine flour, salt and baking soda.
6.Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended.
7.Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
8.Flatten slightly in crisscross pattern with tines of fork.
9.Bake at 375ºF for 7 to 8 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet on a cooling rack; remove cookies to rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

  1. I love PB cookies. To bad my husband things he hate peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt was looking over my shoulder as I read this and he is NOW rummaging through the kitchen looking for the listed ingredients.


    Apparently were missing baking soda. We do have baking powder. Not the same thing right?

    ReplyDelete