I'm not really into sweets so much. Birthdays are always hard for me because I have a hard time deciding what kind of cake I want. Sometimes I get birthday pie. One of my favorite cakes however is Carrot Cake. I don't know why. Maybe because it has veggies in it. Maybe because its not as sweet as chocolate or white cake. Whatever the reason, I really enjoy it.
When I'm having a rough time I find myself in the kitchen. The worse a day/week/month/year, the more baking/cooking I do. For some reason I really needed cake this week. Well, I know the reason - and I really needed cake this week. So I made carrot cake.
I make a really good carrot cake. A really really good carrot cake. A forget all your troubles kind of carrot cake.
I already feel better.
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups canola oil
4 cups grated carrots
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
11 oz. cream cheese
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1) Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 9" cake pans.
2) Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in food processor.
3) In large bowl beat together sugar, oil and eggs with a mixer on medium, until well blended.
4) Beat flour mixture into egg mixture until just blended.
5) Stir in carrots and coconut.
6) Evenly divide batter into prepared pans. Bake in heated oven 40 minutes. Cool completely in pans on wire racks.
7) In medium bowl beat cream cheese and butter until blended with mixer on medium.
8) Add confectioners' sugar, beat until mixture is smooth
9) Add vanilla
10) Place one cake layer on serving platter. Spread with about 3/4 cup frosting. Place second layer on top. Spread top with remaining frosting.