Pages

Friday, November 23, 2007

A southern treat

I have Southern roots. They're not obvious until I'm tired and my wacky accent comes out. Then my vowels elongate and my occasional "y'all" finds its way into every other sentence.

Another place my roots can be found is in my tastebuds. I lived in the south long enough to develop an affinity for grits, okra, and pecan pie.

For as long as I can remember my mom's been making an amazing pecan pie. Before my dad's heart attack it was a Thanksgiving tradition. Well, it would alternate between a regular pecan pie and a derby pie (a pecan pie with the addition of chocolate chips).

This year for Thanksgiving I wanted to make my own version of the classic dish. Pecan pie, but with addition of caramel, the most Thanksgivingest of all the dessert sauces. Caramel just seems like the perfect fall flavor for me. I love it with pumpkin, apple cider, and of course it would be perfect with pecans!

Let me give you a brief run down of the reactions:
Jon: It's good sweetie, but I really am too full to finish. (My mom makes one heck of a Thanksgiving)

Me: Be careful mom, it's good but its a little two sweet - like a diabetic could die if they smelled it.

Mom: I don't know what you're talking about this is fantastic!

Caramel Pecan Pie
1 pie crust
2/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 eggs
12 ounces caramel topping
1-1/2 cups pecan halves

1) In mixing bowl, beat eggs slightly with fork.

2) Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Stir in topping and butter; mix well. Stir in pecan halves.

3)Pour filling into pie shell. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

4) Cool thoroughly on rack before serving. Cover; chill to store.

1 comment:

  1. I love pecan pie.
    I love caramel.

    [inscrutable Homer Simpson sounds]

    ReplyDelete