It is no big surprise that this dish was a success. I told Jon I was expecting something creamy and cheesy, I mean it is called garlic cheddar, chicken. Instead it was a baked dish with bread crumbs. Jon said he was happy my preconception was wrong because that would have made it too white trashy. This way, he told me, was far more gourmet.
I don't think I've ever heard baked chicken in breadcrumbs gourmet, but as long as he's happy right?
But I definitely think I gained weight just cooking this dish - melted butter, parmesean, cheddar....and of course I can't really substitute low-fat/no fat alternatives because cheese and butter is the one area I don't mess with. There's enough cancer in my family without adding plastic to my diet! I'll just have to content myself with knowing this won't be a frequent dish, but it will be a good one!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded thin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, and cook the garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano, pepper, and salt.
- Dip each chicken breast in the garlic butter to coat, then press into the bread crumb mixture. Arrange the coated chicken breasts in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Drizzle with any remaining butter and top with any remaining bread crumb mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.