Pages

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Everybody's Doing It

By far, the most popular meal on my cooking board is Garlic Cheddar Chicken (or GCC). It is raved about by nesties, requested by husbands, and is almost a ritual of initiation. So tonight I initiated myself.

It is no big surprise that this dish was a success. I told Jon I was expecting something creamy and cheesy, I mean it is called garlic cheddar, chicken. Instead it was a baked dish with bread crumbs. Jon said he was happy my preconception was wrong because that would have made it too white trashy. This way, he told me, was far more gourmet.

I don't think I've ever heard baked chicken in breadcrumbs gourmet, but as long as he's happy right?

But I definitely think I gained weight just cooking this dish - melted butter, parmesean, cheddar....and of course I can't really substitute low-fat/no fat alternatives because cheese and butter is the one area I don't mess with. There's enough cancer in my family without adding plastic to my diet! I'll just have to content myself with knowing this won't be a frequent dish, but it will be a good one!

Garlic Cheddar Chicken (from What's Cooking)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded thin

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, and cook the garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. In a shallow bowl, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano, pepper, and salt.
  4. Dip each chicken breast in the garlic butter to coat, then press into the bread crumb mixture. Arrange the coated chicken breasts in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Drizzle with any remaining butter and top with any remaining bread crumb mixture.
  5. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

6 comments:

  1. ::drooling::

    and now i have another way to use up all that chicken in my freezer....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is seriously MH favorite dish I make! I use bran flakes crushed super fine for the breadcrumbs....its not much but it helps and it tastes fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gained weight just looking at this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would definitely qualify as a special dinner. Wonder if I can get the kid to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love GCC.. I haven't made it since I started Spark.

    I miss GCC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the look of this and from hearing the nesties rave about it i'd love to try it sometime... just need to work out how to do it without the cheese for my hubby lol

    ReplyDelete