Pages

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Dinner for 1

I didn't want to make anything too fancy or elaborate for dinner tonight since I was on my own, but then again - I did have an easy dinner last night so I decided to step it up a notch. After all I had the time, and I deserve a nice dinner.

As usual, I turned to a Chicken dish from Cooking Light. I have yet to figure out why other recipes even exist. This one was very easy to adapt to a dinner for 1 by dividing the recipe by 4... Okay, that's not really easy, but the results were worth it. I wouldn't put this dinner up there with Basil Chicken or even the Chicken Stroganoff, but it was definitely enjoyable. I bet if I made it with breasts next time instead of thighs I would enjoy it more......Or added a little garlic/salt/ spice to the sauce.......

Chicken in Wine Cream Sauce (from Cooking Light)


Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/3 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
Cooking spray
2 chicken thighs, skinned
1/12 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 oz. light cream cheese
1/2 cup hot cooked wild rice


Directions

Combine first 7 ingredients and 1 teaspoons oil in a small bowl; rub over chicken. Heat 1 teaspoons oil in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan; set aside. Place flour in a bowl; gradually add milk and wine, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add to skillet, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring to a simmer. Return chicken to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Add mushrooms; cover and simmer 5 minutes.

Remove chicken from pan; cover and set aside. Add cheese to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring constantly with a whisk. Place 1/2 cup rice plate. Top chicken thighs and 1 cup sauce.

3 comments:

  1. Dammit - I really should have come over last might...this looks much better tham the Taco Bell I had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even your dinner for one is better than anything I ever eat at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...I made this last night and didn't really read how you had reduced the recipe from 4 to 1 servings. Anyway, I read the 1/12 measurement for the flour and decided it actually meant 1 1/2 cups. WHOOPS!!!

    I ended up staring at this huge gloppy solid chunk of floury, wine-y, milky stuff in my pan, then going back and realizing that oohhhh, you really did mean what you wrote: 1/12 cup.

    So I remade the sauce and it turned out fantastically! Thanks, Kate, and next time I promise I'll be a better reader.

    ReplyDelete