Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Skulls for breakfast



When I was a small child, I was adorable.  I know, you're shocked.

Among my many adorable qualities were my mispronunciation of words.  I'm not talking about "psghetti," my mispronunciations were far more advanced.

Like how I insisted "mild" was pronounced "milled."  Because hooked on phonics did NOT work for me.

But one of my favorite mispronunciations was related to the realm of breakfast foods.

Thatmom has been involved in Weight Watchers since we was a teenager.  And when I was little, sometimes I would accompany to her to the weigh-ins.  Which happened to be right next to a bakery? coffee shop?  a place that sold scones.  But I didn't call them scones.  (Of course not, that wouldn't make much sense for this post, would it?)  I honestly believed they were called "skulls."  Which made sense to my child-brain, since they were hard, like a skull.  And bumpy, like a skull.  And dotted with raisins, like a skull?  (or like eyeballs on a skull.  A bit of a stretch, but again, we're talking about a small child.)

I don't remember when I realized the actual name of scones, but it was before I embarrassed myself in front of anyone.  I outgrew my mispronunciation, but not my love of the flaky breakfast treat.  And until recently, it was never something I attempted to make on my own.  But they're so easy!  And come out just as well as something from the bakery counter.  These are simple and plain, but can easily be dressed up with a simple glaze or inclusion of fruit.  Because sometimes, you need to cover your skull.

Cream Scones (From the Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsps baking powder
  • 1 Tbspn sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 Tbspns butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup cream 
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
  2. Work in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
  3. Add the eggs and cream and stir until blended. Turn out on a lightly floured board and knead for about a minute.
  4. Roll dough into a disc about 3/4 inch thick and cut into 12 wedges.
  5. Place wedges on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. i love to have scones.. but not really my favourite...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister used to just flat-out make up words when she was little. It was cute in it's own way. :) I really don't make many scones either...not sure why. I love how open these are to adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look way too good!!! Totally going to have to make them.

    ReplyDelete