Pages

Thursday, August 09, 2012

Call Me Potato


At some point this weekend, Thatbaby was letting me know he was done eating in his usual way.  Screaming at the top of his little lungs. 

I responded in my typical way:  "Oh.My.God.Baby...." to which I always end up adding "Look at her butt."  (What can I say, much of my youth was spent in the early 90s.)  I guess I haven't done this routine in front of Thatboy before, because it prompted him to start singing and soon a dance party of Sir-Mix-A-Lot was happening at our table.

Thatboy:  You know, I'm going to be sad when we have to start watching what we sing to Thatbaby because of the lyrics.
Me: Right, because we sing "Baby Got Back" so often?  Let's think about what song we usually sing to Thatbaby.
Thatboy: Call Me Maybe?
Me: Exactly.
Thatboy: You know, I really like that song.  It's catchy.  I was actually hoping to hear it on my way to surf yesterday so I could sing it in my car.

Our son isn't going to know what hit him.  Caught between songs glorifying the female form and songs glorifying....ummmmm....well, I guess just bubble gum pop.  But he loves both.  Or at least he loves his parents acting crazy.

He also love stuffed potatoes. They're also kind of a duality.  Because baked potatoes are one of the healthiest form of potatoes out there - but not when you stuff them with cheese, sour cream, and bacon.  They're the Carly Rae Jepson of the side-dish world.  Popular with folks of all ages, in that "I can't believe I like this" kind of way.  A guilty pleasure that you don't share with just anyone.

Twice Baked Potatoes
  • 2 russet potatoes
  • 4 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup Sour Cream
  • 2 slices of bacon, cooked crisp
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  1. Preheat oven to 425.  Bake potatoes for 1 hour.  
  2. Remove and let cool until you can handle them.  Lower the heat on the oven to 350.
  3.  Chop up the bacon and stir together with butter and sour cream.
  4. Slice potato in half lengthwise and scoop out the inside into a bowl.
  5. Mash the potato with the butter mixture.  Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Add the cheddar cheese and the scallions.
  7. Fill the empty halves, top with a bit more cheddar cheese.
  8. Bake the potatoes for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.

4 comments:

  1. I keep these in my freezer so I can pull them out (they thaw fast on the "fish" setting in the microwave) and throw them in the toaster oven.

    Yours look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Call Me Maybe, and so does Ellie. No shame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love/hate call me maybe. You just can't help but dance and sing along to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loves me some twice baked potatoes - I need to make them - soon!

    ReplyDelete