Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

On our way home


We've spent the past 5 days in Chicago and are just getting back today.  I have a lot of catching up to do.  Thatbaby was very impressed by Chicago - mostly the food and the giant bed in the hotel.  

 
 Thatbaby REALLY likes eating out and sleeping in hotels.  Obviously that's how we know he's really my kid.

While I play jet-plane traveler (stay tuned next Monday for tips on how NOT to travel with an infant), I thought I'd share one of Thatbaby's favorite meals.

Thatbaby's favorite food of all times would probably be tacos.  However, this pork dish ranks a close second.


I had made some cranberry walnut bread with fresh (frozen) cranberries and still had some left over.  Looking for a way to use them up, I stumbled across this pork dish.  Pork, cranberries, and raisins - this is the perfect fall dish.  Between this and the pumpkin bread it's obvious my internal seasonal clock is way off.  But sometimes you gotta throw caution (and cranberries to the wind).  Besides, the slow-cooker has been my year-round friend this year.

This recipe was an instant hit in our house.  Thatbaby gobbled up his portion, and then seconds.  And then had it for lunch two other days.  Each time not leaving a single piece on the tray.

I stirred spinach into mine before serving, for a little added green (both for color and health benefits and because I love spinach).  The heat of the dish wilts the spinach nicely.


Cranberry Pork Roast (from A Year of Slow Cooking as seen on Beantown Baker)

1 (2.5-3 lb) pork loin roast or rib roast
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown
1/3 cup golden raisins
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/3 cup cranberry juice
1/2 small lemon, thinly sliced
2 cups of spinach, washed and trimmed

  1. Combine spices and cornstarch in a brown paper bag.  
  2. Add pork and shake to coat.  Pour all the contents into a slow cooker.
  3. Add cranberries, sugar, raisins, and garlic.
  4. Pour cranberry juice over all and top with lemon slices.
  5. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

4 comments:

  1. That Baby is a gourmand in the making. My daughter never really liked meat as a baby and it goes to show that even as very young children our preferences can shine through. Even to this day as an adult she eats very little meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pork--so glad Thatbaby did, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever seen Up All Night? There was one episode about traveling with a baby...this totally made me think of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um... I'm so trying this recipe this week...

    ReplyDelete