Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Service for Two



I think I've mentioned before that Thatboy LOVES when I make pot pie. It's not the most healthiest dish ever, and as anyone who has ever made pie or quiche before knows a pie feeds a lot more than 2 people.

The solution to this growing up was Stouffer's individual pot pies. But those are even worse in terms of healthiness.

Now that I'm older, wiser, and more experienced in the kitchen I've come up with some of my own solutions. Which are healthier than frozen meals, even if it's not going to show up on any Weight Watcher Meal Plans. For a long time I made my own individual pot pies. This works especially well if you have biscuit dough on hand. Simply pour the filling into large ramekins/small bowls and place the biscuit dough on top and bake.

I like this solution because it also cuts down on the amount of dough. I mean really, do you NEED the bottom crust? Thatboy however finds the biscuit version to be less slightly satisfying. He really likes the pie crust aspect of pot pie.

Which brings me to my mini-pot-pie, or pot-pie for two. I make it in a teeny little casserole dish. Really, this still serves more than two, but not too much more. Meaning there isn't pot pie for days. I can still get away with only putting on a top crust because it uses my all time favorite pie crust recipe. Flakey, buttery, nothing for Thatboy to complain about.


Pot Pie for Two
3/4 lb steak, chicken, turkey, or meat of choice, in chunks
1/4 cup sliced onions
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 bay leaf
1 sprig parsley
3 crushed peppercorns
dash of mace
3 Tbsp pancetta
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
pie crust dough
  1. Place the meat, onions, carrots, bay leaf, parsley, peppercorns, and mace in a pot and cover with cold water. Simmer for 1 hour.
  2. Remove the meat and boil down the broth until about 3/4 of a cup is left. Strain.
  3. Preheat the oven to 425. In a skillet, melt the butter and blend in the flour. Slowly add the strained broth and stir until thickened.
  4. Add the meat and pancetta and simmer 5 minutes. Pour into a 1 qt casserole.
  5. Cover with the pie crust dough. Cut vents in the crust and bake about 20 minutes until golden.

3 comments:

  1. This is exactly why I never make pot pie! So thanks for figuring it all out for me. you're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is a great idea. It makes it possible to have a meal we would normally avoid. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so the single serving type of dish I love to freeze copious amounts of.

    ReplyDelete