Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

My Lazarus Rice Cooker



I have a deep, dark, kitchen secret. I probably have more than one, but the one I'm referring to is my complete inability to cook rice. I'm not sure what it is about it, not that it's that difficult, but it either comes out a soupy mess or it burns to the pot.

When Thatboy and I were married, we registered for a life-changing device. (Other than the Kitchenaid, of course). I'm talking about a rice cooker. This thing is a godsend. I honestly can't mess up rice in this thing. Not only that, but it also works as a steamer and a slow cooker. (I did say it was life changing.) I haven't messed up rice in almost 5 years!

About a month ago, I went to make rice for dinner. I poured in the rice, the water, and plugged in the rice cooker. Nothing. No helpful light, no indication that the thing was on. I was devastated. I mean, for electronics 5 years is a good stretch, but how on earth was I going to survive if I have to make rice on my own?

Given the move, I put the rice cooker up on a high shelf with plans to dump it before our move. And then, since most of our other appliances were already packed, last week I decided to give it one last go before bidding a fond farewell. And you'll never guess what happened. That's right - lights, action, rice cooking!

I can't even begin to tell you how much this made my night, my week, and obviously, my dinner. Which meant today I had to find a box to put the rice cooker in, but well worth it. I'm sure you'll agree.


Lamb and Rice Casserole
1 cup cooked lamb
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 Tbsp onion, diced
1/4 cup chicken broth
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup cracker crumbs (I'm really into the all bran crackers right now, but you use what you like)

  1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Combine the lamb, rice, onion, chicken broth and lemon juice in a bowl.
  2. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Place in casserole.
  3. Combine the melted butter and cracker crumbs and sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes.

2 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful and it is a great way to use up that last bit of lamb. I hope the recovered rice cooker has no relapses.Have a great evening.Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed because, uh...I also can't cook rice. Apparently, a rice cooker is the solution to all of my problems.

    ReplyDelete