Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Saying Goodbye for a Bit



Do you form unnatural attachments to your kitchen appliances? You know, give them names, say goodnight before going to bed, things like that? I have that kind of relationship with my Dutch Oven, Lise.

Well, this weekend Lise got tenderly wrapped in paper and bubble wrap. Then I gingerly placed her in a box with some of her friends. Before all that, I wanted to give Lise one last hurrah. Something to remember me by for these next couple of dark weeks. When Lise and I get together we love to make stews - something about her perfectly enameled sides just lends themselves to browning meats and veggies.


Veal Stew
1 lb stewing veal
3 small white onions
1/2 medium onion, stuck with cloves
1 carrot, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1 egg yolk
juice of 1/2 lemon
nutmeg, salt, and pepper
  1. Put veal in pot and cover with cold water.
  2. Add the small onions, clove studded onion, carrot, bay leaf, and thyme and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered for 1 hour.
  3. Remove meat and strain broth.
  4. Melt butter in a sauce pan and stir in flour. Cook, stirring, then add 1 1/2 cups of the veal broth. Continue stirring until thick and smooth.
  5. Beat the egg yolk with the lemon juice. Temper the egg mixture by stirring in a spoonful of the hot sauce into the egg and mixing.
  6. Stir the egg mixture into the remaining sauce.
  7. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste and pour over meat.

6 comments:

  1. Unpacking your kitchen will be like a big housewarming party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Packing up the kitchen is the worst. I feel like a bad dutch oven owner. I adore mine but haven't named it. I've kind of been cheating on it with my cast iron skillet lately...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh.. It is really a lot of work and so tiring. You will do fine :)

    Yummy looking veal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a panic attack that you were saying goodbye to US for a bit. Don't do that to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dutch oven is my favorite thing in my kitchen. It's old and not fancy, but was handed down from my mom, and I use it for EVERYTHING. It's been getting a break though since it's just too darn hot.

    ReplyDelete