Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Loafin'



They say marriage is a partnership, but no one ever tells you it's a 50/50 deal. It's not. Inevitably one partner will be far more involved than another. But the thing about that is, this overachievement goes back and forth between the couple.

For us, it's been like that since the beginning. We take turns taking care of each other. Putting in the hard work, putting forth more effort into keeping the wheels turning.

The original plan for moving was for me to do some packing every night. "Don't worry about it!" I told Thatboy. "I'll just take one area at a time. We'll be done in no time." Except life, as usual got in the way. And somehow that " I'll pack every night" turned into " Both of us packing as much as possible on the weekend." And that was really "Thatboy packing as much as possible on the weekend" with "Thatgirl trying on every article of clothing she owned to see how funny it looked on her giant belly" and "Thatgirl looking through old pictures" and "Thatgirl playing with stuffed animals." Yep, I'll admit it, I totally slacked on my duties and Thatboy took care of the brunt of the work. With applomb.

So I've been trying to make up for it this week. I've spent all of my lunches running all over the county dropping off donations of computers, clothing, and books. I scheduled an appointment to take Thatdog in for his vaccinations. And I've even made one of Thatboy's favorite meals - meatloaf.

I'm not a huge meatloaf fan, but I'm trying to make this not so much about me. And meatloaf with mashed potatoes is one of Thatboy's favorites. (And not just any mashed potatoes, I make his favorite - which I don't think says much since last time we had dinner with his parents where mashed potatoes were served I saw a giant box of instant flakes beside the stove.) Like most of my meatloaves I used a mixture of meat. I like the beef for flavor, and the veal and pork for a little extra moisture/fat. The red bell pepper was a last minute addition - and really it was more about color than anything else. I thought it would add some sweetness, maybe it did, but not noticeably so.

But then again, I'm so sweet, it's hard for any meal to compare.


Red Pepper Meat Loaf
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground veal
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cracker crumbs
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
  1. Preheat oven to 325. Combine all ingredients.
  2. Press into a loaf pan and cover. Bake 40 minutes.
  3. Uncover and bake 20 minutes more.

7 comments:

  1. I am the only one around here that loves meatloaf so I have wonderful little meals with mashed potatoes and gravy tucked into the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an old CZEk saying.."Tis better that your house burn down twice, than have to move it once." At the peak of the move experience, it feels that way.

    What better way to relax from packing than t enjoy a classic comfort meal of meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Bravo!

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man oh man, but that looks good. I am a fan of a good meatloaf and yours looks wonderfully moist. I know I'd love it. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha you are exactly what I'm like whenever I try to pack! Which is why I'm trying never to move ever again...it takes FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee, you are very sweet, Kate! I love meatloaf, because I like meat that has been "disguised" and I love burgers and meat loaf is just something I never had the chance to eat when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids have been begging me to make meatloaf. Would you believe I have never - in all 12 years since my kids were born - made a meatloaf? I'm just not a fan! But motherhood requires sacrifices too (just like marriage does). Maybe I'll try making some for them soon.It would definitely be the right thing to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moving house is always over-whelming for me. There are a lot of work both from and to. You are really sweet to still make Thatboy's favorite meat loaf in the midst of so much to do. The deliciousness does not only come from the taste of the meat loaf but from the thought in it.

    ReplyDelete