Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Race Report? Really?



I know, it's shocking really. I mean the last race I ran was in January, and while I was pregnant at the time, I certainly wasn't sharing the fact! I had planned to run two more races, a half and a four miler, but both sold out before I was able to sign up.

So I had pretty much resigned myself to no races until next January and just kept up with my daily runs. And then on Wednesday I was looking over my Twitter feed and saw mention of a 5k taking place Thursday night. I thought the idea of a night race sounded kind of fun - because goodness knows my weekends right now are filled with boxes.

A quick poll of my friends made it seem like I wasn't totally out of my mind for considering the idea, and so Thursday after work found me making my way to the race.

Since pregnancy, my running speed has substantially slowed down. Which is frustrating. I knew that I wouldn't be breaking any records with this 5k, and I was okay with that. My "heart" goal was 45 minutes, about a 15 minute mile. Which is pretty close to my current speed. My "head" goal had me closer to 55 minutes, because really, it's been 7 months since my last race.

When I arrived to pick up my bib I was informed that my entrance fee paid not only for the race, but also a burger after the race and beer from Firestone Brewery. "But when it's gone, it's gone" said the guy behind me in line. "So make sure you run fast." I turned to him and placed my hand on my stomach, telling him that I wasn't too concerned about making sure I got beer. He got very excited. "I can drink yours for you!" It was a kind offer, but Thatboy was more than happy to take advantage of my all-you-can-drink ticket.

I stayed toward the back of the field as the race started, so I wouldn't hold anyone back. Everyone took off and there were about 6-7 people behind me. As we rounded the first corner, most of those people passed me, leaving me second to last. After about half a mile, the last person passed me, leaving me as the caboose, bringing up the rear.



Races are such head games. The walls we put up, the games we play with ourselves and other runners, etc. etc. etc.. Like the two women in front of me who would walk until I passed them, and then start running. I knew they were playing the "don't let the pregnant girl be faster than us" game. Being the very last person in a race does not feel good. And I started getting down on myself. I decided this would be the very last race I ran pregnant. I felt so slow, I was last, and it was just too discouraging.

And then I started passing people. First I passed those walk/runners and they didn't start running again. Then I passed a group of three. I wasn't last anymore! I came close to passing another 2 walk/runners, but then they cheated. Instead of turning at one point, they cut across, lobbing about a quarter mile off the 5k. I didn't care enough about passing to cheat like them.



Thatboy was waiting for me at the finish, and when I looked at the timeclock I looked over at him and called out "That can't be the right time, can it?" He looked at me and nodded. It read 38:00. I ended up crossing the finish at 38:41, a far cry from the 45-55 minutes I was shooting for.

We hung out after the race, eating burgers and drinking - beer for Thatboy, water for me. But in honor of my run with a little something inside, I present to you a meal with a little something inside. Veal stuffed with celery and breadcrumbs. I'm fairly certain the growing, kicking, pushing, digging thing inside me isn't celery and breadcrumbs, but I won't be able to tell you for a couple more weeks. I can tell you that stuffing and rolling veal and baking it will make your insides happy too.



Stuffed Veal
1 lb veal cutlets
2 Tbsp butter
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 tsp chopped onion
1 sprig parsley, minced
2/3 cup bread crumbs
3/4 cup chicken broth + 2 Tbsp
1/2 Tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream

  1. Preheat oven to 350. Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a skillet. Stir in the celery and onion and cook over low heat until translucent.
  2. Remove from heat and stir in the parsley, crumbs, 2 Tbsp chicken broth, and salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Pound the veal until it's about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the celery mixture down the center and roll. Tie with poultry twine.
  4. Melt the remaining butter and oil in a sauce pan and brown the rolled veal.
  5. Transfer the veal to a casserole dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the remaining chicken broth over, cover, and bake for 45 minutes.
  6. Stir in the cream and cook uncovered for 25 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you are still running everyday and even racing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good for you! I have done numerous 5ks but none while preganant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ROCK. And you're basically my idol. Can I be you when I get pregnant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I felt like I was watching you race. You rock girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is AWESOME! I can't imagine how mentally challenging that would've been and then owning your goal. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is seriously impressive. Congrats to you!! (and who cheats at a 5K??!?!)

    ReplyDelete