Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Macaroni and Lamb



My husband may be the only person who drinks wine out of a giant plastic tumbler covered in pictures of giraffes. Of course, his choices are rather limited given that our kitchen and dining room are officially packed.

We've kept out very little, which means doing dishes has become far more important than ever before. And I'm going to be limited over the next couple of weeks on the meals I can make. I kept out a pot, pan, and baking dish, and just about everything else is in a box.

I've made a meal plan for the next couple weeks and there's a lot of pasta on it. Not only because I need to use up what's in our pantry, but because pasta requires very little in terms of cooking and serving. In fact, just in case, I spent all morning making spaghetti, so we should have more than enough to last us!

When I make any kind of noodles Thatdog situates himself right under the chair where I hang them to dry. He knows that anything that hits the floor is fair game for him. And he knows that while I'm pulling apart strands there are quite a few strands that hit the floor. It makes him a very happy dog.

These are obviously not homemade noodles. I can't make macaroni. I'm very talented but not THAT talented. But we do have a lot of boxed noodles I'm trying to get rid of and frankly there's a limit to how much mac and cheese someone can eat. Time to get creative. I know many people like hot dogs cut up in their mac and cheese, but the idea is highly unappealing to me. Throwing in some actual cooked meat, however, doesn't sound like such a bad idea. I used lamb in this, but it would be equally delicious with ham, and I expect it to be reincarnated over the next couple weeks with some steak we have in the freezer!


Macaroni and Lamb
1 cup cooked lamb
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp onion, diced
1 Tbsp celery, diced
1 cup macaroni
1 egg
1 egg white
1 cup milk
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Mix the lamb, salt, pepper, onion, and celery in a bowl.
  2. Place the macaroni in a layer on the bottom of the baking dish and spread the lamb over top.
  3. Beat the egg, egg white, and milk together and pour over the lamb and macaroni. Bake 35 minutes until firm.

6 comments:

  1. In Singapore we love to make macaroni into a chicken soup dish, infused with ginger and garlic flavors and topped with fried shallots and plenty of green onions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, you made HOMEMADE spaghetti?!?!? This whole time I thought you were just boiling up noodles all morning. Kudos my love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade noodles are you kidding me. That is true talent. I want you to teach me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a big fan of lamb but my Big and small boy are hehe.. will definitely make this for them soon. Looks so delicious and I am sure they will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This actually sounds really, really great. (I do, however, love hot dogs in my mac and cheese... :)

    ReplyDelete