Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

More Macaroni



Last night when I sat down to post a new entry I was honestly pretty excited that I'd been able to get in 3 days in a row. That's A LOT of free time my friends. Free time which seems to be a luxury right now. Speaking of - hang on a sec while I go and throw another load in the washer.

Okay, back. Anyway, as I was saying, I was so excited about having a moment to myself that I COMPLETELY forgot that it was a Monday. I know - who forgets Mondays? Mondays are the days you dread. When you have to get up early and spend a whole day at work after having the weekend to spend however you want.

Mondays mean Eat.Live.Be..



I know it's Tuesday. Heck, in some parts of the world it's Wednesday already! But enough about days of the week, unless you're Rebecca Black I have a pretty good feeling most of you know what day comes after what. And I have an even better feeling that you'll forgive me for posting a day late. This week we're discussing wake up calls. What brought you to the light?

For me, there were a lot of "wake up moments" that I just didn't see. Or I saw, and I ignored. They say that it's difficult to train a dog to stay out of the trash because it's a self-rewarding behavior. Unhealthy behaviors can be self-rewarding too. When I was throwing up outside the gym in bushes it should have been a wake-up call. But it wasn't. Because my unhealthy behaviors also made me feel like I had control over my life, my body, and myself.

I wish I could point to a moment of revelation, a wake up call, but I can't. At one point I just decided that this wasn't good for me and I needed to scale back. And frankly, maybe it's because I'm missing that moment that it's a constant, almost daily struggle. Picking good behaviors over bad isn't easy, and it's much easier to slip into old habits. Especially when life gets crazy - and unless you're a new reader, you know my life is typically crazy.

Next week we're discussing simple solutions for when you're just too tired. Perfect for Mondays, right? Now check out how the other bloggers are faring:

I warned you that you'd be seeing more macaroni recipes coming soon. I think I may have even warned you about using macaroni with the steak in my freezer. So it should come as no surprise to you to see this next dish. Today was a run all over town kind of day, so it was nice to be able to make something quick when I came home.



Macaroni and Steak

2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 cup currant jelly
1/4 tsp ground mustard
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 lb cooked steak, cut into bite sized pieces
2 cups cooked macaroni

  1. Melt the butter in a skillet and stir in the vinegar, jelly, mustard, and cayenne. Cook until the sauce is smooth.
  2. Add the steak to the skillet, coating it in the sauce.
  3. When the steak is heated through, pour it over the macaroni.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely remember a distinct day in college when I decided to go to the gym for the first time in my life. And thus began me learning to cook and eating vegetables and all sorts of things. It's definitely been a whole evolution process from then, from being a crazy restrictive health food nut to being the much more balanced person that I am today but I owe it all to that one day! It's certainly a constant struggle though. Even if that day IS pinpoint-able.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the queen at rationalizing bad behavior. Making changes is never easy.I love how are you prepared to steak. using a currant jelly is a new thing for me. definitely can't wait to try.

    Chris - www. melecotte.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad habits are so easy to fall into. I am so struggling right now to find balance in my crazy life. Trying to stay on top of a healthy positive lifestyle. Hope you are feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an unusual combination - compared to my macaroni dishes that I must investigate these flavors together. I look forward to finally posting a Monday post - in August!
    I think one of the best things about each day - is the constant evolving process. Challenges and goals and slip-ups. The slip-up make goal-attaining so much sweeter.

    ReplyDelete