Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Things White People Like: The Thatgirl Edition




1. Cupcakes.


But not just any cupcakes. They have to be cute. Either in fun shapes or covered in glitter. Thatboy especially likes those covered in glitter.




2. Farmer's Markets. I love that we have Farmer's Markets year round. And I definitely take advantage of it.



This weekend I dragged Thatboy with me. And got him some coffee from Joes on the Nose as an incentive. Which completely worked. I didn't hear any complaints. Buying him further treats didn't hurt either.


3. Fancy dress up parties. This weekend was my friend Harvard's birthday party.



His birthday was actually in November. But Harvard has been bicoastal for work lately, so he had to postpone his birthday till this weekend. He wanted it to be very grown up, so he hosted a cocktail party. Complete with a couple of bartenders! It was fun to put on our fancy clothes.


It was even more fun to play catchup with some old friends. Because man are we all getting old.


Harvard is the first in our group to turn the big 3-0, and it's all downhill for the rest of us.


4. Fancy Schmancy Lobster Dishes.
I've been blogging about lobster dishes in preparation for Valentine's Day since we all know that lobsters are the true symbol of love. This one is super fancy schmancy because it has a French name. And the French pretty much invented love. Or so I hear.


This is another recipe that calls for killing a live lobster. And I'm not an idiot. I wasn't going to play that game twice. Instead I stuck the lobster in the freezer for a couple of days and it was D-E-A-D when I cut it into 8 pieces. The sweetness of the lobster is balanced by the cayenne - and by the way, did you know the chemical that makes cayenne spicy is also an aphrodisiac? It's true. I wouldn't lie to you. I paired this silky smooth lobster with something equally silky smooth. And I'm not talking about my just waxed legs. Just some nice easy grits. I told you I was a southern girl at heart.


Lobster a l'Americaine (From the Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
1 large lobster
2 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 bay leaf
1/2 tsp thyme
2 Tbsp chopped shallots
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup dry white
1. Kill and split a live lobster. Or if you're me, don't. Freeze the lobster for several days until you're sure he won't be moving ever. Then cut him in to 8 pieces and remove the liver and coral (but save them).
2. Heat oil and butter in large skillet. Add the lobster, bay leaf, thyme, and shallots. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Mix the cayenne pepper, tomato paste, and wine in a small bowl. Add to the lobster and stir with the juices in the skillet.
4. Cover and simmer another 10-15 minutes. Take out the lobster and remove the meat.
5. Strain the liquid and return it to the pan with the liver and coral. Blend.
6. Add the lobster meat and heat through.



Hominy Grits
1/2 cup grits
1/2 tsp salt
1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and slowly stir in grits and salt. Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

1 comment:

  1. My roommate got the book version of this a few years back and the accuracy of it was astounding. I loved it.

    And, well. I love all of these things too. Minus lobster. But that's just a weird Joanne thing and has nothing to do with white people.

    ReplyDelete