Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Beach Day

Thatboy hasn't been surfing since he hurt his ankle, but he's been anxious to get back in the water. When his surfing buddy got stuck up in LA, he asked if maybe Thatdog and I would like to join him at the beach. Thatdog and I had recently returned from our morning run and it was beautiful out, so we agreed.




When we join Thatboy on the beach, I spend most of the time reading. Thatdog spends the entire time keeping an eye out for Thatboy. Because the ocean is dangerous, and you never know what could happen. I can tell when Thatboy gets out of the water, because Thatdog perks up and his tail starts going crazy.





Once Thatboy got out of the water and changed out of his seal suit, we noticed the skies getting ominously dark. We packed up and headed to the car JUST as the skies opened and the rain started pouring.

We headed to check out a new burger place, Smashburger. There are fried pickles on the menu - we will return. There is also a lime milkshake on the menu. LIME MILKSHAKE? Why hasn't someone thought of this before?

We ate our burgers in the car in the rain. Thatdog found his own little spot to curl up in. He found a box of clothing that is earmarked for donation and curled up right inside. He didn't exactly fit, but well, you take a look:



Keeping with our seaside theme, dinner is a gift from the sea, shrimp! A shrimp wiggle to be exact. Don't worry if you've never heard of a shrimp wiggle. I hadn't. A google search turned up the fact that any hot dish served on "crackers." I still don't know why that makes it a wiggle, but if any of you know, I'm all ears.

Shrimp wiggle is a creamy shrimp dish and I love the addition of the peas. Who am I kidding, I love veggies in pretty much anything.



Shrimp Wiggle (from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup light cream
1 cup cooked shrimp
1/2 cup cooked peas
salt

1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Stir constantly over low heat until smooth and blended.
2. Slowly add the milk and cream, and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, until smooth and thickened.
3. Add the shrimp, peas, and salt, and cook only long enough to heat through.

6 comments:

  1. Veggies are welcome here too. I appreciate your photos of beacxhes and warmer climates to take me away from this cold weather...for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when dogs find random little places to plop down!
    What book were you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the best dog in the world! I'm so jealous. And this post kind of makes me want to move to Southern California...a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a great day. Years ago there was a shrimp wiggle that was made wit just enough gelatin to hold it together. I always though shrimp shimmy would have been a better name. Your dish looks far nicer than the one I remember. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Thatdog is adorable! I love that he keeps a watch out for Thatboy. Dogs truly are the most loyal of pets.

    ReplyDelete