Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Like a Rock - Eat.Live.Be. for a Better 2011



Rock [rok] -noun. A firm foundation or support. Colloquially used in phrases such as "solid as a rock" and "steady as a rock." Both implications of something or someone who is dependable and strong.

When I first became a lawyer, one of the partners at my firm told me that when he builds a case, he builds a house. And the materials used to build it are important. You want to build your house of brick, so it stands strong. It's a good philosophy - and not just for law. For anything. Whatever you're building, you need to have a strong foundation. A foundation of rock.

This week's theme for Eat.Live.Be. For a Better 2011 is "Where is Your Support Community?" And so I thought I would introduce you to my foundation. My support. My rocks.

The first one should be obvious if you've been reading this blog for longer than a week. Thatboy is my partner in crime when it comes to hitting the gym. No matter what your goal is - to lose weight, gain muscle, build endurance, or in my case, build strength, it is SO helpful to have someone to goad you in to going to the gym. There are so many nights when one of us doesn't want to go. So many nights when the thought of slipping into pajamas and starting the fireplace sounds a million times better than slipping into gym clothes and starting the elliptical. Having someone to say "we really should go" is the exact kick in the butt you need to get yourself in to gear.

My second support in this challenge is a silly one. Do you like to make lists? I do. I love a visualization of my accomplishments. Crossing off things I've done gives me such a giddy sense of happiness. Which is why I really like sparkpeople.com. It has this little water tracker.





We recommend that you get at least 8 cups of water a day. Click the arrows to track the amount of water you have consumed.

10
add a glass of water
subtract a glass of water


SO cute. Everytime I drink a glass of water I click on it and I can see my water glass filling up. It honestly makes it fun to drink - kind of a game to see when I can get my glass to overflow.

And of course there's the online community! All of you keep me honest. Because all this week, when I skipped going to the gym, I kept thinking, "I'm going to have to tell everyone what a failure I am." And no one wants to admit to everyone what a failure they are!

Next week's topic is Baby It's Cold Outside - how to keep inspired to work out in the cold winter months.

And here are a list of the other bloggers participating:

And now, since we're on the topic of rocks, let me introduce you to one of my favorite kind of rocks. That's right, it's the Rock Lobster.





Gah, I will never grow tired of the B-52s. Now I know I told you that I prefer live lobsters, but unfortunately we just don't get live rock lobsters 'round these here parts.



Our waters are just too cold. Instead, rock lobster tails are usually imported frozen from warmer seas like in South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia. Which makes them perfect for those of you who are squeamish about the whole "live lobster" thing. Or those of you who are squeamish about the whole "OMG I have to do all that work to get the meat out" thing. Either way, the lobster tail is where some of the sweetest meat is, and boiling a lobster tail couldn't be easier. Just remember, shellfish cooks quickly and there's nothing worse than overdoing it and ending up with a rubbery, flavorless mess. These lobster tails cook for 3-5 minutes. After that, drain them, and cut down the center of the underside with a knife, popping out the meat.


So this Valentine's Day serve a lobster tail, either on it's own or served alongside a nice cut of steak, the perfect surf and turf. If you've noticed, I serve my lobster with spoon bread. It's the southerner in me. There's just something about shellfish and corn. Spoon bread is a nice alternative to corn bread, but with the same great flavor. This one is a little lighter than the one from last night, made with white corn meal instead of your classic yellow.


Light Spoon Bread (from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
1 cup white cornmeal
1 Tbsp melted butter
3 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 375. Butter a casserole dish. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil and pour it over the cornmeal in a bowl, stirring consistently.
2. Add the butter, egg yolks, buttermilk, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Stir until well blended.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
4. Gently stir a fourth of the whites into the cornmeal mixture, then fold in the remaining whites. Spoon into the casserole and bake 45 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. I loved the first part of your post...the one about a foundation. Setting a good foundation, in every part of your life, is definitely important.

    Btw, I HAVE to make that spoon bread. I'm obsessed with corny dishes, and that poof of golden crown has got me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Building a foundation! That's a fabulous analogy. And it's so true. You can jump in and start putting up walls and painting the place, but if you haven't built that foundation then it's just a shack that won't stand up to heavy winds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! The building a foundation metaphor especially. I think too many people jump into their resolutions without actually thinking through how they're going to do it and that leads to their utter demise.

    Spoonbread. Want. need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hilarious - out there and everywhere post!!! Your spoon bread looks soft and light and delectable. I must try it. Lobster for Valentine's - or any day - is always a YES for me!... and your support group... love the foundation metaphor!
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. My support system: "Do you want to go to the gym?" Me: "no." End of conversation becaue I can be fierce. He's supportive. I'm lazy. Now if you ask, "Do you want to do all that work to get the meat out of the lobster?" "Yes, yes, a thousand times yes." Best of luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found out about this Eat. Live. Be. last night, as I was FINALLY catching up on my blog reader. Very inspiring! Success to you!

    ReplyDelete