Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Everyone Needs a Night Off



This was a pretty busy week for me. I was in and out of court for most of the week. By this afternoon I was just worn out. I texted Thatboy "I'm really tired tonight. Maybe you could help out with dinner? We're having stuffed cornish hens. Can you just cook the wild rice, stuff it in the birds, and throw them in the oven?"

My ever helpful husband quickly replied, "That sounds hard." I wasn't expecting much.

On the way home, the freeway came to a dead stop five cars in front of me, the entire road closed and blocked off by police cars (isn't that always the case?) I called Thatboy to tell him I was going to be late. "That's fine" he told me. "Dinner should be just about ready when you get home."

My interest was piqued. Wild rice does not cook quickly, and then he'd still need to cook the birds. I expressed my skepticism. "Maybe we're not having cornish hens tonight." And sure enough, when I got home, there was a pot on the stove, boiling.

Before I had even texted him, Thatboy had spent his lunch break running all over Little Italy picking up dinner - fresh made gnocchi, fresh marinara sauce, salad, and even a canoli for dessert. He'd apparently been planning this since last week, goaded on by his coworkers (he is the only man in his department). The timing couldn't be better. This is exactly what I needed tonight.

I know we can't all have Thatboys at home anticipating our every need, picking up our favorite foods, making life easier. So I'm here to help you out by giving you another easy recipe you can throw together on a Friday night when you don't feel like slaving over cornish hens. Stirfries are my go-to easy meal of choice. Prepping your veggies ahead of time makes this even easier - and you're far more apt to use veggies when they're all cut up and ready anyway.



Friday Night Pork Stirfry
6 oz extra firm tofu
1/4 cup terriyaki sauce
1/2 tsp crushed ginger
4 oz pork tenderloin
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 onion, chopped
1 cup broccoli
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup pineapple tidbits

1. Wrap tofu in paper towels and place between two heavy plates/books/bricks/small children for 1/2 an hour.
2. Mix the terriyaki sauce and crushed ginger
3. Cut the tofu into cubes and marinade in half of the terriyaki mixture.
4. Cut the pork into bite sized strips.
5. Heat 1/2 Tbsp canola oil in skillet. Add pork and cook through. Remove pork from pan.
6. Add remaining oil to skillet and cook onion, broccoli, and pepper until tender crisp.
7. Return pork and tofu to the pan. Add remaining terriyaki mixture and heat through. Stir in pineapple tidbits.

4 comments:

  1. I need my own personal That Boy to have dinner waiting for me when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thatboy needs a serious pat on the back and a Noddy badge. Good for him!!!(and you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rely heavily on stir-fries when time is at a premium. I wouldn't, however, mind having That Boy around to ease the burden :-). I hope you and he have a fabulous weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god how super cute of him! He's a keeper. I allow you to continue being married to him.

    ReplyDelete