Pages

Sunday, January 02, 2011

Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens

I'm going to fill this post with a few of my favorite things (in case you couldn't tell from the title.)

Thatboy and I had sofabed Saturday Night last night, curled up next to each other watching Despicable Me until all hours of the morning. And then, in a very rare and very decadent turn of events, we ended up sleeping in till 10:00 this morning. Do you know the last time we slept in till 10:00? Neither do I. Most weekend mornings I am awoken by the very disturbing sense that someone is watching me. Around 8:00 a.m. I raise an eyelid to find Thatboy staring at me. Creepy, right? He can't sleep, and since misery loves company, neither can I.

But this morning, THIS MORNING, I awoke at 10 am, warm and toasty and not wanting to leave my sofabed. But I did. I dressed and headed out for a 9 mile run. Normally with my long runs, I wait for Thatboy to go out for a surf and I run along the coast while he surfs. It's nice to have company before and after, I love running beside the water, and then, when I'm done, I get to sit and relax on the beach till he's ready to go.

Unfortunately between Thatboy's frequent weekends away and his sprained ankle, he hasn't been doing a lot of surfing this weekend. And so I've decided that instead of driving to the beach with him, I'd run to the beach. One of the benefits of living about 3 1/2 miles of the beach is the ability to do this. It was also nice that when Thatboy was away last week, I could run this route instead of my usual trail route because if something happened to me, there would be a constant flow of cars that would notice the dead girl on the side of the road.

My new weekend running route takes me by what I call "The estuary" which I think is actually known as Penasquitos Marsh. But doesn't estuary sound better than marsh?




And there are usually a lot of beautiful white egrets that hang out here. Nothing like some eye-candy when you're on a long run, right?



And the estuary (and my run) flows right into the ocean. There weren't many waves today, but it didn't mean the views were any less thrilling.





Everytime I go for a long run I think how thankful I am that we live so close to the water. It makes me never want to move from our current location!

So sleeping in, running by the beach, how can we complete this trifecta of favorites? With one of my all time favorite foods - buffalo chicken wings. This is one of the easiest recipes in the world, which only adds to why it's my favorite. I've tried a lot of different methods of making buffalo wings and Thatboy declares this is his favorite. It's baked, which makes me happy because this is a lighter version of the fried, drenched in butter classic wing. Of course, the secret ingredient is Frank's Wings Sauce. Is there any other sauce that works as well?




Baked Buffalo Wings
Chicken Wings
Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce

1. Preheat oven to 500. Bake wings for 20-25 minutes, until crispy. Flip them halfway through baking time.
2. Toss wings in sauce to coat.

Told you it was easy!!!!

3 comments:

  1. One day I am going to come visit you and we are going to do this long run together. K? K. I need some eye candy in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos! I know what you mean about living near the water and never wanting to move! Regarding zov's mac and cheese-I think you'd like it much better if you made it at home w/o the panko! I haven't been to her restaurant for ages but I'm thinking it's about time for another visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do miss my lakeview but have replaced it with conservation area and a pathway. The beach is not within walking distance but certainly within driving distance. If I had your view to look forward to I might just enjoy a run:D

    ReplyDelete